Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ?CD burner problem  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Golda

• New Registration
?CD burner problem
« on: December 03, 2003, 20:48 »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, having been recommended by someone on another forum.
I recently had my PC upgraded, and among other things was added a CD-DVD writer. The old CD reader still remains although I didn't know this at the time of return.
I have become very interested in photography, and to prevent having too much space taken up with pictures I was pleased at the idea of being able to 'burn' them onto a CD.
The 'burning' process is fine, re-reading them isn't.
After the pictures have been burned to the CD, XP tells me all is finished and OK.
When I try to check them, my CD reader cannot read the, neither can my burner, yet if I go and put them on the TV/DVD, the pictures are all there!
Initially I had Nero, but removed that as it was difficult to use, and I don't think necessary, as XP seems to have an adequate software package of its own.
Do you think there is something wrong with the system, or is it that I am not doing things right?
I contacted the man who upgraded my PC, but he gave me the feeling that he didn't want to know. Any ideas would be really helpful. Thanks

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:?CD burner problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 20:56 »
Hiya Golda!   :welcome:

What format are your pictures in?  (GIF, TIFF, JPG, etc.)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 21:29 »
Hi Golda, and

Come back to us with the file format you used to burn your pics with, and hopefully someone will be able to help.  Will the CD / DVD drive read the written discs at all?  What actually happens when you put the CD in the drive?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 21:55 »
Hi Golda, I assume that you are burning direct from a digital camera to the CD using XPs "copy these files to CD" window.
Can you confirm this please ?
It sounds as if you havent got a program installed on your pc that can read the images, you may be burning them as the cameras own format which may need another program installing on your pc to read them.
XPs built in burning software is a little inadequate and slow, from my experience.
If you play around with Nero for a bit then I am sure that you will find it to be a far superior and more versatile program, especially the latest version Nero 6 Ultra :doggie:

Offline Golda

• New Registration
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 17:01 »
Oh thank you for responding.  :)
I initially  save them to 'Documents'.
Then having decided which I want to keep, I burn them to a CD using XP. Every part of the operation seems OK, and at the end it tells me that I have successfully completed the job. Therefore I'm lost as to why I cannot play them back on my PC.
I did have Nero onboard. My son said it could be a problem, and suggested 'Easy CD creator', but when he brought his copy around for me, it wasn't compatible with XP...it was too old!
A photography group I speak with also suggested I delete it. It doesn't seem to have made any difference at all! I still cannot play back on my PC the Cd's I have burned, but yet they will play back on the DVD on the TV.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 18:06 »
Can you right click on one of the saved pics in "My Docs" and select Proerties then tell us what it has saved to your pc as please ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum