Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Dv camcorder and firewire probs  (Read 929 times)

Offline strumper1

Dv camcorder and firewire probs
« on: December 11, 2003, 23:33 »
Have recently purchased a JVC gr-d20 camcorder and purchased a firewire card (PCI IEEE 1394) and cable to use with it . Have installed card and software (Ulead videostudio dv version 5. Came free with firewire card) but my pc will not recognize my camera.
When I go into system properties device manager I do not have any Imaging devices such as Microsoft DV Camera and VCR although I have 1394 Bus Controller
I am running Windows 98SE, AMD athlon XP1600+,256 Mb ram and radeon 7500 card.
In short Camera's there, computer's there, software's there and the drivers are there so why won't it work
I hope this is enough info   If not just ask and I'll repost
Thanking you in advance

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Dv camcorder and firewire probs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 23:50 »
Hi Strumper1, and  

I haven't a clue myself, but hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Just a couple of things spring to mind, but are probably irrelevant -- does the camcorder have any drivers of it's own, and is it definitely compatible with W98SE?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline strumper1

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 00:21 »
Thanks for the reply simon

Been to the JVC UK web site and there are no drivers for this camcorder and I'm pretty sure it is compatible

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 00:33 »
Hi Strumper, I am not up on firewire stuff but I wonder if its installed the bus but not the card correctly ?
Does it show in your device manager that the card is there as well as the IEEE 1394 bus controller as I am 99% sure that the card should be listed too  ???

Adept

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 07:19 »
Hi strumper1 :welcome:

I think Sandra is right when she mentions the PCI card. Even if it is detected by Windows and appears in the device manager list, I would be tempted to uninstall the driver, move the card to a different slot and reinstall the driver.

Sometimes PCI cards can conflict with others and changing slots seems to cure this.

Once you plug the camera into the firewire cable, Windows should detect it and ask for a driver, which should be supplied with the camera. I'm pretty sure my Panasonic has a driver disk for Win98, although I may be wrong as I have XP which has the driver built-in.

Offline strumper1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 23:47 »
Sandra & Adept
Thanks for the replies, sorry it took a few days to get back, I was away for the weekend
I'm not exactly up on this stuff myself
I am going to do what adept suggests and uninstall, move card and reinstall drivers
I shall keep you posted

Offline strumper1

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 21:02 »
Sandra & Adept
Have done what I said I would do but to no avail. Also, the card is recognized by my computer (called the Host controller)but still doesn't recognize my camera. The drivers are built-in to Win 98SE. Have now  been in contact with JVC direct about this non detection and am awaiting a reply for this problem.
Again, shall keep you posted or if anyone has any other ideas they will be gratefully received and tested

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum