Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Boot Problem  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Boot Problem
« on: December 28, 2003, 11:24 »
The PC I recently built for my cousin has developed a fault.  When she powers up, sometimes there is no beep, no monitor, no nothing, although the power is obviously there as the fans are all running.  She then hits the reset button, and everything boots up OK.  This started happening on odd occasions, but apparently it is starting to increase in frequency.  Any ideas?  I thought initially this was just the monitor not firing up, but now it seems it's more than  that.  Would going into the BIOS and disabling Quick Boot (if it's enabled) have any effect?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Boot Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 13:58 »
I'm no expert, but has she checked that the motherboard battery is seated properly, Simon?

Offline jon996

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 14:17 »
i had a similar problem and it was a ram fault, have you tryed switching them around???

--jon :)
rive it like you stole it!

Adept

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 16:07 »
I'd get your cousin to send the whole thing back to the manufacturer and demand their money back Simon. There are a lot of cowboy PC-builders around these days you know :P

Disabling quick boot won't make any difference, although, as Jon says, it may possibly show up a memory fault.

Try removing all of the PCI cards and memory sticks and re-seat them. If this doesn't cure it, try re-seating the processor.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 16:26 »

I'd get your cousin to send the whole thing back to the manufacturer and demand their money back Simon. There are a lot of cowboy PC-builders around these days you know :P

Ref, Ref....you blind or summat...that was way below the belt  :heehee:..... Mind you, had this prob at the beginning, and now rearing its ugly head again...smacks of a loose something to me.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 16:30 »
OK, thanks guys.   ;)

Jon, there's no 'them' to switch around.  It just has one stick of 512Mb 2700 DDR.

Dave, hmmm...  :-\  

Sean, I'll try that next time I go to visit.  Can anyone explain why this might be happening, but only on a first boot?  An immediate restart rectifies the issue, and there are no other problems.

Oh, and  :chubby:  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jon996

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 16:32 »
and how was i spost 2 no that??!?! ???:heehee:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 16:34 »
and how was i spost 2 no that??!?! ???:heehee:

You didn't ask!  :lol:

Offline jon996

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 16:35 »
;) ok ok fair enufff :bald:

Adept

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 16:43 »

Sean, I'll try that next time I go to visit.  Can anyone explain why this might be happening, but only on a first boot?  An immediate restart rectifies the issue, and there are no other problems.

It may well be a bad connection in that case. As the PC warms up, the components expand and "make" the connection properly.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum