Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Bust Hard drive?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Simonp

• New Registration
Bust Hard drive?
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:58 »

Hi,
 My hard drive has started making noises constantly and has slowed the computer down to snails pace. There is plenty of free space  but when I try to defrg or scandisk, it is unable to..I just get a message telling me the hard drive is busy-another program is writing to it, although no other programs are running. Is it time to bin it?

Thanks.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Bust Hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 10:10 »
Hi Simon and  :welcome:  There are no techies around at the moment but there will be plenty later on.  Have you checked for viruses using an up-to-date antivirus software?  Also have you downloaded Ad-Aware to find out if any trojans have managed to sneak in?  This is what I would try first anyway until a techie turns up.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 12:36 »
Hi Simon, noisy drives can be indicative that they are on their way out but have you tried starting up in safe mode and seeing if it is as noisy in there when doing anything ?
That way you shouldnt be runing any hidden programs that you are unaware of  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 19:06 »
Hi Simon (oh no, not another one!),   ;D

What make is your hard drive?  Many of the manufacturers have diagnostic facilities available to download on their websites, which, if you can manage to run them, may tell you if your hard drive is terminally ill, or worth saving.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 20:59 »
Hi Simon,
Have you tried to inactivate temporarily the "Antivirus"?
On the other hand, if you don't have important things on your HDD, you might find it useful to wipe it completely and reformat it, then try to reinstall windows on it. Or maybe, you can use the "Restoration CD". It'll be worthy to try that before deciding to put your HDD in the bin.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simonp

• New Registration
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 09:28 »

Thanks Guys,
             Afraid my P.C.s ground to a halt, I think the diagnostics were the final straw for it. No viruses detected either so its off to HD Heaven. Maybe I'll get a medium to make contact and find out what happened. Thanks for the advice. :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum