Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: port 21  (Read 1612 times)

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
port 21
« on: January 17, 2004, 01:14 »
I'm not used to having problems    ;) but since................................................................ ......................enough rubbish i'll cut to the chase  :)

I cant upload to my webspace and it seems port 21 is blocked by my firewall  >:(  (Thanks Sandra, i sounded techie there  :) )

But how do I allow access to my webspace with norton  ???
The options seem non existant with norton you either have total security or non at all  :'(
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:port 21
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 01:26 »
Hi Greenking.

Bloody firewalls, they're a menace.  I'm sure someone who is familiar with Norton will be able to advise.  Otherwise you could always try Sygate, and if I'm recommending a firewall it must be worth considering as I hate the bloody things.  Sygate is the only one I will tolerate.

If you do decide to change, PM me first.    ;) ;)

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 01:33 »
Norton was pre installed on this PC Dave and its a 3 month free trial  :-\ I used to have AVG and Neo which never let me down....maybe i should go back to what I know and trust  :-\
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 01:55 »
Nar, ZoneAlarms what you want GK, never a moments bother with it mate, and it sets it's self up. All you do is, first time the window appears, asking if you want to allow FTP client to connect, say yes and tick the "remember answer" box, and you'll never be bothered again.  :)

Dave love you New Labour thingy  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 02:05 »
In the settings it should give you the option to scan for programs that need access to the net GK, run that and it should allow your FTP prog to work through port 21 as thats the standard FTP port  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 10:21 »
The easiest way is to right click the Norton Firewall icon by your clock and Open (or just double click it).  Click Personal Firewall > Configure, then select the Program Control tab.  Find your ftp client in the list of programs, and remove it.  Next time you launch your ftp client, Norton will ask for permission to allow it, in which case you obviously say Yes, and tick the box to tell it to always use that answer.

There are ways to configure individual ports, but you shouldn't really need to go there if the above method works.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 10:55 »
Dave love you New Labour thingy  ;D

If it was my sig it would have to say..>>

:not: I can't be arsed voting... :o :-X ;) ;D

But i think i'll just stick with this beach thang at the moment... ;) ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 12:12 »

Nar, ZoneAlarms what you want GK, never a moments bother with it mate, and it sets it's self up. All you do is, first time the window appears, asking if you want to allow FTP client to connect, say yes and tick the "remember answer" box, and you'll never be bothered again.  :)

I'd just like to agree with tony on that one  :o  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 17:07 »
Shell as you said on another thread, thats twice today you have agreed with me, shall I go for The Biggy :o....or should I just quit whilst I'm ahead   ;D  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 17:31 »
:lol:  I can't see it happening again tony  ;D  ;)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum