Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: restart bug  (Read 1044 times)

Offline labopp

restart bug
« on: January 12, 2004, 16:51 »
hello. i am on xp home edition.
for some reason, my cpu just keep restarting once i get to the desktop. i cant do anything, it's just a neverending restart. even if i turn it off for a while and reboot, i just hear the hardrive make a weird sound once i see the desktop and bam, restart automatically... no time to do anything. what seems to be the problem???

Offline dcys02647

Re:restart bug
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 17:27 »

hello. i am on xp home edition.
for some reason, my cpu just keep restarting once i get to the desktop. i cant do anything, it's just a neverending restart. even if i turn it off for a while and reboot, i just hear the hardrive make a weird sound once i see the desktop and bam, restart automatically... no time to do anything. what seems to be the problem???

I don't use xp but this may help.

Has xp got a "safe mode" start like win98? it could be a dodgey driver.

Has it done this 4ever, or just started? (maybe something you installed recently, hard or software)

Have you been "playing in the bios?"

Have the kids stuck the reset button down with chewing gum? (jammmed reset button)  :)
oses are red, oranges aren't!, but what colour are kumquats?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 17:32 »
It sounds like the Blaster virus.
You need to download the removal tool and the patch to prevent it happening again, then see if you can start in Safe Mode. Disable System Restore, run the removal tool then apply the patch and restart as normal.
Dont forget to re enable System Restore.

This should give you the information that you need and where to get the removal tool and the patch to prevent it happening again  :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=826955

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 17:38 »
Playing Devil's advocate, how is he going to be able to download the fix if he can't access his desktop?  Will booting up in safe mode allow him to do this?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 18:38 »
No Clive, it wont load the necessary drivers to enable the modem to connect from safe mode.
As he managed to get on to post the question I assumed it was via another pc.
The patch and removal files fit on floppies so its a simple case of downloading on the pc that can connect then transferring to the possibly affected one.
There is also a manual way of removing the worm which should be explained on that link too  :)

Offline dcys02647

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 16:39 »

Playing Devil's advocate, how is he going to be able to download the fix if he can't access his desktop?  Will booting up in safe mode allow him to do this?
Does it boot in safe mode labopp?
oses are red, oranges aren't!, but what colour are kumquats?

Offline FATTYFISHER

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 02:39 »
Sorry to interupt: Hello all

I'm a newbie to the site and have just posted a prob for mine but reading through this thread actually reminded me that thats when all my problems started, the blaster worm.Having successfully built my 3RD (the one i'd been dreaming about) consisting of a MSI KT4av with Athlon xp2400, 512kb, 40GB, cdrw, dvd, tv, fm the works....and it purred along beautifully untill some idiot invented the Blaster worm. THANKS. I am truly sorry that youve got this. Despite several rebuilds, new HD,CMOS clears, i still have a system in which i can not trust.

My question is(sorry to bable) is it possible for the blaster worm to have physically damaged my system?or have written itself somewhere like the bios chip, actually on the motherboard. And if so, why the hell arn't we castrating these people?

Many thanks

and good luck, sorry if ive possibly just ruined your evening! Sorry

Adept

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 08:32 »
HI FattyFisher :welcome:

You can find out all about the Blaster worm here. AFAIK Blaster doesn't damage your hardware. All it does is crash your PC :-\ >:(

I agree with your point about castration though ;) Are you sure that goes far enough?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 09:33 »
Hi FATTYFISHER  :welcome:

Now you've joined the forum, perhaps you would be interested in joining my own group, the Intolerant Society?  In a nutshell, we campaign for the elimination of low-lifes, the politically correct, and NEW Labour.  Castration, using a white-hot poker, is our preferred method of preventing the  spread of these fungi.

Hope you get your problem solved.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum