Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ICS problems with Freeserve Broadband  (Read 1659 times)

Offline PhilTheFish

ICS problems with Freeserve Broadband
« on: January 22, 2004, 19:44 »
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a home network using Internet Connect Sharing and am having a problem. I've installed my ethernet card on the PC (no problems) and have been trying to set up the ICS. I go through the wizard and get to the end, Windows then throws up an error 'Netconn.exe caused a problem blah, blah and will now close'. When I restart the PC the ICS icon appears in the Taskbar and tells me 'one computer is using the network'. Problem is when I try to connect to Freeserve (Broadband), it connects OK but I can't view any websites, can't get email etc. I have to uninstall ICS and the problem goes away immediately. I've spoken to Freeserve tech support who tell me they don't support home networking and therefore can't help me!

Has anyone else tried to set up a network using Freeserve? Or is the problem the error message I am getting from the setup wizard?

Anybody help?

Phil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:ICS problems with Freeserve Broadband
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 20:06 »
I haven't a clue really, Phil, but do you think this could be Firewall related?   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 20:10 »
Are you using 98 or ME Phil?

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 20:22 »
Thanks for the responses.

In answer to the first question - I'm running sygate personal firewall. I'll try disabling it and see what happens.

Q.2 I'm runnning ME.

Phil

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 20:54 »
I tried disabling the firewall, but still no joy.

Any ideas anyone?

Phil (network novice!)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 23:10 »
Again, haven't a clue about networking myself, Phil, but can you post the exact error message on here?  It might help someone to help you.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 23:13 »
Phil, is the second pc also on ME and which way have you actually set the network up exactly  ???

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 00:37 »
May I suggest:
1. Uninstalling the firewall temporarily
2. Installing the ICS software
3. Reinstalling the firewall.

In my experience the reason for this is the re-direction/proxy part of the firewall is usually left running when you disable it from the taskbar.

When you re-install the firewall it should then redo all the proxy bits etc. correctly.

BTW some of the low end firewalls do not allow for ICS. Not sure on sygate.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 07:47 »
Sygate, I think by default, will block all traffic if it is running, then disabled from the Taskbar.  If you open it, disable it from starting with Windows, then reboot, that should do it, but as Dack said, you may even need to uninstall  and reinstall it.

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 08:01 »
Again - Thanks for the responses.

Sandra - I've not got as far as setting up the network yet. I stopped once I'd done the initial ICS set up on my main PC and realised my internet connection wasn't allowing traffic through.

Regards the firewall - I have actually tried uninstalling it altogether, but still no joy.

I'm starting to think it's a problem with the ICS setup wizard. The message off the top of my head was 'Netconn has caused an error in Netconn.exe The program will now close'. Although ICS shows up in the taskbar after restarting I think this may have something to do with it not working properly? Not sure what I can do to sort this - reinstall Windows maybe?

Phil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 18:28 »
This might help, Phil.  Found it here. :D  Looks like you need your Windows CD though.

TIP #19: When attempting to install Internet Connection Sharing, I get the following error message: 'Netconn has caused an error in Netconn.exe'.

1)   Try finding Netconn.exe in your C:\Windows directory and double-clicking it.

2)    If the error still occurs, delete Netconn.exe

3)   Next, click Start, click Run, type MSCONFIG (hit enter)

4)   Click the Extract File button

5)   Type in NETCONN.EXE as the file you would like to extract, click the button labeled ?Start?

6)   Then type the path to your WinME installation files where it says ?Restore From? (example: D:\Win9x)

7)   Type in ?C:\Windows? where it says ?Save File In? and click OK.

8.   Naturally, back up your registry and move a copy of the deleted keys to your desktop before removing them.

9)   Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,System, CurrentControlSet, Services, ICSharing (the whole thing).

10)   Delete HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing (entire folder)

11)   Delete HKLM\System\CCS\Services\RemoteAccess\LocalNameResolution (all keys)

12)   Extract ics.inf, icshare.inf and icsharep.inf to a temp folder (like C:\ICS) using steps 3-7 above.

TIP #20: Netconn.exe is still causing a crash.

1)   Click Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup ? remove ICS. Do not reboot.

2)   Click Start, click Run, type Regedit (hit enter)

3)   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,System,CurrentControlSet,Services   -- Remove ICSharing key

4)   Under Class, note the number of folders under the NETTRANS key. Don?t close, just go to the next step.

5)   Under Network properties, add the protocol called NETBEUI and remove all instances of TCP/IP

6)   Click OK.   DO NOT reboot.

7)   Back to Regedit, press F5 to refresh the screen.

8.   Remove all folders under the NETTRANS key that WERE there before.   Do not remove the new keys.   They might be at the end, or in the middle.   Don?t remove the new NETBEUI folders.

9)   Back in Network properties, add the TCP/IP protocol.

10)   Be sure that File and Printer Sharing is not present (this is a must), and delete the NETBEUI protocols.

11)   Click Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup ? Communications ? select ICS. Click OK, Click OK.

12)   ICS should run perfectly.

13)   At this point, at your discretion, you may open network properties and add File and Printer sharing.

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 20:01 »
Thanks Simon,

I actually managed to find the same site this afternoon in work. Trouble is I don't know where my WinME installation files are. I assumed they were on my restore CD but I can't browse it. It only gives me the option of Driver installation or full restore (if I start up the PC with it in the drive).

I think I'm going to upgrade to XP as I'm told there are no problems with ICS on that.

Phil

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum