Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: monitor problems  (Read 1620 times)

Offline mr_p

monitor problems
« on: January 26, 2004, 23:10 »
Hi

Whenever i switch my PC on at the base unit, the monitor takes at least 5 minutes before it comes on. I really don't know what the problem is and need some ideas

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:monitor problems
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 23:19 »
Is it a CRT monitor, and how old is it MrP?

Offline mr_p

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 23:22 »
yeh, its a CRT monitor and its only about 6 months old, this problem has been with it since it was setup though

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 23:27 »
Hi Mr P, and  

I think someone should be able to help you, but our techies will need a few more details first.

What is your Operating System?

When did this start happening, and did it follow any other significant event, like loading new software?

Have you recently added or modified any hardware, or updated any drivers?

Do you hear the single 'beep' to tell you that your system has started correctly?  If not, do you hear multiple beeps or none at all?

Does your system run correctly once the monitor has started?

Edit: Just seen your answer to Clive's question, so you can probably ignore 2 and 3 of those.  

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mr_p

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 23:32 »
im using windows XP

ive not loaded any hardware and its been happening since i first got it (my cousin installed it all for me while i was on holiday).

there aren't any beeps wen it come on, it just sounds like the base unit is doing some stuff, sounds like it loading or something, then the monitor comes on after like 5 or so minutes.

however, if i switched the pc off, then back on like 5 or 10 minutes later, the monitor will take like only 30 seconds to come on. It seems liuke the longer its off, the longer it takes to come on.

ive not made any modifications to the pc so that wont have anything to do with it i dont think.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 23:46 »
If you have no post beeps, then it sounds like there might be a starting up problem, which hopefully one of our techies will be able to help you with.  What happens if you press the reset button?  Does the monitor come straight on then?  Just wondering if it might be a power problem.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mr_p

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 23:48 »
yeh, it comes straight back on when its reset. Its so weird.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 23:59 »
Is the PC six months old, like the monitor?  This could be a motherboard, or a power supply unit (PSU) problem, (something perhaps working once it's warmed up?) which, if the machine is still under warranty, the place you got it from should fix it.  I'm only guessing here though, so don't take my word for anything, until one of our proper techies has had a look in.  Unless Sandra turns up in a bit, it might not be till tomorrow now, as the rest of our techies all need their beauty sleep.   ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 01:09 »
Hi Mr P, can you clarify exactly what happens for me please ?
Do you mean that the monitor is completely blank then after some minutes it shows your desktop is on and windows has loaded fully or do you mean after a few minutes it then starts with the BIOS screen then starts loading windows as in a normal start ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 08:19 »
Sounds like the same problem my cousin is having, San.  Do you remember me posting about the monitor which won't come on from a cold boot, but starts fine with a reset?  The only difference being, my cousin has not left it five minutes to see if it will come on.  We still haven't found a solution to that yet, but someone suggested disabling 'quick boot', in order to give it time to wake up all the drivers.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 14:00 »
I think Sean discounted that as it wasnt "Quick Boot" as we understood it Simon.
Mine does the same on most days so I just press reset and as soon as I hear the monitor degauss itself, which is quickly followed by the post beep, I know that it will boot correctly.
I did leave it for a few minutes today but nothing happened and there was no further hard drive activity after a few seconds, so I dont know if its the same as Mr Ps problem or not as it appears that his carries on loading something without having to reboot  ???

Offline mr_p

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 18:35 »
when the monitor switches on after say 5 minutes it starts the loading up screen and loads up windows, then is fine until it is left off for some time.  when it comes on there is one beep and then it starts loading as it usually would.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 22:32 »
That sounds as if the bios isnt starting for 5 minutes or so  ???
Would that point to a memory module maybe Sean, Dack or Brian ?
Or something as simple as the cmos battery ?

Offline David^

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 18:58 »
hi im "mr_p"'s friend in real life. and suggested him talk to you guys.

ive seen what happens and basically when he turns on the pc, it sounds as if it is just booting up normally, flashing cd-rom drive, flashing hard-drive etc.

but the monitor remains in standbye and there is noway of turning it on. eventually the monitor springs to life and the pc comes to life, starting with the bios checks as if it had just been turned on.

very wierd.
ouch me, I rock

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 21:08 »
I just cant understand how it can come on after a few minutes  ???
As I said earlier mine has a slight problem on startup sometimes and today it did it again so I left it for almost 10 minutes but it did nothing until I rebooted it.
I cant think what will cause it to not initialise the display yet do it after a few minutes without rebooting  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum