Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC crashes on s/w installation  (Read 875 times)

Offline Saddler

PC crashes on s/w installation
« on: February 02, 2004, 09:27 »
I recently had total re-load of all my software, including Windows XP due to a virus and instabiliity problems. I am running a K7VZA m/board with Athlon 1.0Ghz cpu, 512M ram, NVdia g-force,40G HDD and Win XP.
XP loads up OK but most subsequent re-installs cause the PC to re-boot at the s/w loading phase, ruining the install. Strange how XP loaded OK though.

Any ideas ??? Before I hurl the thing out the window.
n the realm of the blind the one-eyed man is king

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:PC crashes on s/w installation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 09:38 »
Hi Saddler, and  

Just an idea, from a non-techie, but when you re-installed XP, did you manage to get all the Windows Updates OK?  I only ask, because it's possible you could have contracted the MS Blaster virus within minutes of going online to collect the updates, before the crucial anti-MS Blaster patch was loaded.  One of the tricks of MS Blaster is to constantly reboot your machine.  This happened to me when I loaded XP on to a new machine.  Now I keep the Blaster patch on a floppy, so it can be loaded before going online.

Hopefully, one of our techies will be along soon to help you properly.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Saddler

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 09:41 »
Thanks Simon, but I loaded the anti-blaster patch before going on-line, then downloaded all the upgrades and ran an AV check with Norton, said it was clean.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:47 »
Oh well, back to the drawing board!  ;D  I'm sure one of our techies will be able to help you soon.

Just another quick thought, have you tried switching off the auto-reboot function in System Properties > Startup and Recovery?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Saddler

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 09:52 »
Ta Simon, will try that at least I may get an error message that might give me a clue !!

Offline Saddler

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 11:00 »
I tried switching the Auto-re-boot off, then I got a screen/mouse freeze. Then a blue screen saying something about a 'stop error' at the bottom was 'STOP' then some meaningless(to me)memory locations. Couldn't be arsed to copy them all down though. It looks grim/expensive. ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 14:19 »
Saddler, if you can get it running again and look in the event viewer at around the time it froze, there will be an event ID and a code.
If you can post that then it may help us to find out what the problem is  :)
If you still cant get it into normal windows can you get it into Safe Mode  ???

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 12:23 »
Hi Saddler,

Similar and even more problems happened to me when I installed "Norton anti virus 2004", although I tried different versions (or copies) of it. That obliged me to go back to NAV 2003 which is very good.

Just I wanted to mention this point in case you have that programme on your PC.
object width="450" height="150">

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum