Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Driver/chip set and Broadband connection problems  (Read 1179 times)

Offline PhilZ

Driver/chip set and Broadband connection problems
« on: February 22, 2004, 10:50 »
Hi,

I've got a Broadband connection with Freeserve. If I leave the modem in the USB port when I turn the PC on, windows will not load. If I take the modem out, then load windows, then plug in the modem the connection is fine.

Freeserve have said I need to download new drivers, which I did (VIAUSB2V242L).

This has not solved the problem. They also suggested I buy an internal PCI USB card with its own self powered chip set, which I have not yet done.

Does anybody have any suggestions to overcome the problem? Freeserve have told me that as the modem is ok it's my problem, and they can't help any more.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re:Driver/chip set and Broadband connection problems
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 11:15 »
Hi PhilZ and  :welcome:

Can you tell us a bit more about your system hardware and what operating system you are using and i'm sure one of our techies will be along shortly to help you solve your problem.  :thumb:

P.S. And i think Berti Vogts time is running out fast too... ;) ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 11:17 »
Hi Phil, and  :welcome:

Have you got the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers?  The drivers you have just updated look like USB2 drivers - not sure if it's the same thing.  :-\

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline PhilZ

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 12:13 »
Thanks for the replies.

I've got Windows ME, and have downloaded 4in1 drivers, which didn't solve the problem.

I've got a USB root hub and Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB universal host controller (does that make sense? Freeserve wanted to know this, so it may be relevant).

Thanks again.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:19 »
Have you tried plugging the moden directly into a USB port, bypassing the hub?  There is an issue with some modems and USB hubs, but one of our techies, Sandra, would be able to tell you more.  Hopefully she'll be about soon.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 13:14 »
The USB Root Hub isnt what you are thinking of Simon.
Its what shows in Device Manager at the start of the USB bits at the bottom section.
I had a similar problem due to the modem not being compatable with the onboard USB ports.
I got around it by disabling the onboard USB ports and fitting a USB PCI card, making sure that it didnt have VIA chips in it, as it seems to be an incompatability issue with the VIA chips on the motherboard.
Funnily enough some months later I flashed the BIOS on that mobo and it will now work ok with that modem.
I am unsure if it was the new BIOS or the updates to the VIA 4 in 1 drivers being updated though.
As you have already updated the drivers then it was probably the bios update that did it  ???

Offline PhilZ

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 00:38 »
Thanks Sandra,

I was also told to buy and install an internal PCI USB card with its own self powered chip set. Unfortunately I don't fancy taking the cover off my PC and attempting to plug it in. Perhaps I'll have to have a go, as I'm getting fed up with having to unplug the modem every time I turn the OC on.

Phil :-[

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 00:57 »
Its dead easy Phil, make sure that you look at the USB PCI card that you are thinking of buying to make sure it doesnt have VIA chips on it.
A lot of them do, the one I got was a NISIS 2 port one, I think its this one here :

http://www.nisis.com/Products/PCComponents/Eu2.asp

There are more ports on some of their other products now along with USB 2 no doubt.
Dont forget that you will possibly have to disable the onboard USB ports in the BIOS or it may still interfere  :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 13:56 »
There were some known problems with the VIA chipset and some USB modems. This was a power issue (sometimes the modem wouldn't start, sometimes wouldn't initialise, sometimes power would cut during use).

Just to make sure that the drivers are all ok - UNINSTALL your modem drivers and any modem/ISP software.

Uninstall all VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers, also make sure that you uninstall any MAINBOARD chipset driers you also used - the two could be conflicting.

Then reinstall the VIA 4 in 1 only.

Do a full windows update (get everything you don't have).

Then reinstall the modem software BUT DO NOT CONNECT THE MODEM TO THE USB UNTIL IT TELLS YOU TO DO SO. Sometimes Windows will install its own drivers and always use them - even if you do install the modem drivers after.

Other than that, a self powered modem or hub can fix the problem, but it may simply be a compatibility issue.

I can't find the articles relating to the USB modem/VIA chipset problem, sorry.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum