Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: CMDNINST Error  (Read 1189 times)

Offline johno313

CMDNINST Error
« on: March 03, 2004, 19:04 »
hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me.  i have recently bought a second hand nvidia 64mb gforce graphics card - with driver and one updated downloaded driver (neither installed yet) - when i slot it in and my comp boots up i always get a blank white screen with a message that goes something like "cmdninst has caused an error .... restart your pc" and even after restarting a hundred times im always faced with the same error.  im runnin winME with a 60gb excelsor hd and 1gig of sd ram, 1 cd burner 1 dvd burner and 1 dvd rom.
any suggestions would be hugely appreciated
thanks
johno >:( ??? :'(

Adept

Re:CMDNINST Error
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 19:13 »
Did you remove the drivers for your old card before replacing it Johno313?

Have a look at this Microsoft Knowledgebase article :)

Oh and by the way :welcome:

Offline johno313

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 19:18 »
hi, thanks for that, i did uninstall my previous driver, but didnt delete it completely, should i install the new driver before plugging in the graphics card?  also a guy at work said i should try replacing it while my computer is on, but this sounds a bit risky to me?
thanks again for the help!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 19:26 »
I hope you didn't mean replacing the card itself with the machine powered on, Johno.  :horror:  I think it's safe to say, that's not a good idea.   :o
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 19:29 »
It's worth a try installing the drivers before you install the card. I've never tried it that way round but it may just work.

I take it the guy at work doesn't like you much ;) :o

Offline johno313

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 19:32 »
i thought as much, he just thinks he knows everything.  i ll try later on after the footy to install the new driver first, and see what happens from there, while im on do you know where i can get a free online system check (to try and see if my comp is performing to the max sort of thing) and also where i might be able to get my hands on cw shredder?
thanks guys

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 20:06 »
http://www.buildorbuy.org/cmdninst.html

May give you some clues as to possible fixes for the CMDNINST problem.

As suggested, the first recourse is usually to put the old graphics card back in and then change the driver to standard VGA. Shutdown, remove the card and replace with the new one. Power up and install the drivers.

As to cwshredder - the problems with most of the spyware sites due to a denial of service attack on them have mostly been sorted. You can download it from:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 21:10 »
Well, I have just run the tests on PC Pitstop.  I needed a plug in to use it with Mozilla, which it wouldn't download for some reason, so I did it with IE, and it says my system is fine. However, I'm not going to actually recommend this until one of the techies gives their opinion.  Use at your own risk!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline johno313

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 21:49 »
thanks simon,adept and dack, everything has been taken on board, too tired to mess on with card now, but i will have another go after work tomorrow and let you know how i get on
thanks again guys
 ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum