Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: groundhog day  (Read 1154 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
groundhog day
« on: March 11, 2004, 15:35 »
i'm sure i've asked this one before (ages ago) but you cant have too much good advice  :P

currently i have a cd writer with nero s/w (slave) and dvd reader with power dvd s/w (master).

i want to get a dvd writer, so which one should i replace.  i must admit i have nero set up nicely for burning non compliant, non standard svcd's so i'd prefer to replace the dvd reader as the dvd writer will play also play them.

if i did replace the dvd player would the dvd writer be likely to conflict with the cd writer (ie when i install the s/ware that comes with with the dvd writer would it confuse the nero software - especially as the nero s/w may be specific to the cd drive provided .)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:groundhog day
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 15:51 »
Hi Dave, I would replace the DVD as the DVD writer works better if you read from it to the hard drive and write back to it rather than do a DVD copy on the fly like you do with CDs.
You can use either the DVD writer or the CD writer for doing your CDs on the fly, unless your DVD rom is a fairly new one then it probably has a slower CD read than your CD writer as well.
You would probably be better off using Nero 6 as the burning software for CDs using either your current CD writer or the new DVD writer as that will do everything that you need including DVDs.
I know that you have access to Nero 6, (along with DVD ripping, editing and copying programs), so dont bother with the bundled software that comes with the DVD writer and uninstall the current Nero, if its the one that came with your CD writer as that may well be specific for your writer.
Nero 6 is really easy to use for either CDs or DVDs, just remember to select which writer you are using and set it up as your current version of Nero is  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 16:57 »
Ta Sandra  ;)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 17:02 »
ah, one more question if i may, when i install nero 6 (which presumably i can upgrade to from ver 5 ?) will it overwrite version 5?

just that i like the settings i have and so would like to use the old cd writer and software for my non standard svcds and the new version for the dvd's.  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 17:47 »
Unfortunately it will overwrite it Dave, sorry  :(

But you will love the way 6 works on the Smart Start bit of the Ultra Edition and you can still choose to use the original Nero Burning Rom part or Nero Express if desired from the main program menu  :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 17:51 »
Wish I could Sandra  >:( got a stoopid OEM 6,

Dave can you run 3 writers/burners, I found out when I tried to get rid of my CD RW that DVD RW/burner would only burn CDs at 16x :( and not x48
Now have all 3 running  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 17:58 »

Wish I could Sandra  >:( got a stoopid OEM 6,

Have a word with GK after this weekend Hooky  ;)

Just a thought Dave, I have never tried to do this with any newer version of a program so you can be the guinea pig if you like  :o

When you install the newer one I wonder if you installed it to a different location than the normal program files where it defaults to, if it would allow you to run both, or if it would somehow find a common folder for some part of it somehow and screw it up ???

Anyone tried this ?
Or is it a silly idea  ::)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 19:04 »
Sandra I suspect there would be some elements of the program copied to a common area regardless but nothing to be lost by trying.

Hooky i cant run three disc drives as i already have two internal hard drives.  my current cd burner can only burn at 4x so anything will be a huge improvement.  ::)

anyway thanks for all the ideas   ;D

Adept

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 19:22 »

Hooky i cant run three disc drives as i already have two internal hard drives.

If you have the space in your case and capacity in your PSU you can buy a PCI IDE card from which you could run another 4 drives Dave ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum