Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Keyboards again  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Dogsbody

Keyboards again
« on: April 27, 2004, 23:32 »
Just reformatted my drive and reinstalled XP on my laptop now whenever I use the keyboard the @ and " keys are transposed also I cannot get a pound sign and end with #. I have been into the control panel and checked for UK keyboard and also the correct regions everything appears to be OK. Anyone got any ideas please.
DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Keyboards again
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 23:51 »
Did you delete the USA ones or just add the UK ones DB ?
Usually if you add the UK and delete the USA ones it will say it cant remove the USA one as its in use but will do on the next reboot  :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:10 »
If you go into the control panel, regional and language options - can you just check that:

On the standards and formats tab the settings are, "English United Kingdom" and "United Kingdom"

On the Languages tab, under "text services and other languages" click "details". From the page that then appears check that "English United Kingdom" has been selected. The UK bit in the bottom of the screen will be bold if it is. Then click Ok.

XP, be default, seems to make everything US English when you install :)

Hovering over the 'EN' in the task bar will tell you which language you have as default. If you press the Left ALT key and press Shift at the same time then you should see it change to one of the other languages you have installed.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 15:04 »
:D Ahhh murky buckets folks, all back to normal, why do they make these things so b----y obscure. ::)

DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 15:07 »
Thats the problem with MS being a USA company, everything defaults to USA english instead of the proper one  ;)
Its usually easier to select the correct options when installing so that it saves any hassle later  :)

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 15:12 »
You mean to say I should read the options ??? ::)

DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 16:29 »
Oh sorry DB, I forgot its not really a guy thing to read stuff unless there are pictures of breasts or naked ladies around is it  ::)

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 18:15 »
Thats the problem when the 'naked bits are about' who bothers reading anyway!!!!! :o

Adept

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 19:51 »

Thats the problem with MS being a USA company, everything defaults to USA english instead of the proper one  ;)

What really bugs me with Windows' install program is you tell it that you want British Region coding, you tell it that you want British Keyboard layout. Then the next screen asks you what time zone you are in and defaults to bloody Pacific Time! >:( >:( I just told them I was in the UK, are they stupid >:( :tony:

I feel a bit better now. Nurse, my medication please ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum