Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BT broadband to reach almost all  (Read 687 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
BT broadband to reach almost all
« on: April 27, 2004, 11:53 »
BT has announced it aims to make high-speed broadband services available to almost all homes and businesses in the UK by the middle of next year.

It says it will install the latest broadband technology in 1,128 exchanges by summer 2005, making it accessible to 99.6% of households and businesses.

Only its very smallest exchanges will not be fitted by that time, leaving out fewer than 100,000 premises.

BT said it was another step towards universal broadband availability.

"Together with our plans to extend the reach of broadband from a local exchange, this takes us significantly closer to universal availability," said Alison Ritchie, BT chief broadband officer.

The roll-out programme will be announced in detail by the end of June and will help BT bring forward some published broadband switch-on dates.

BT said it would continue to work with both the public sector and private organisations, to find ways to deliver broadband to those less-than-100,000 premises who are still due to miss out.

Since July 2002 BT has been matching its broadband investment according to demand, by using a so-called registration scheme.

So far, more than 880,000 individual registrations have led to the upgrade of more than 2,000 exchanges, taking broadband availability from 66% in July 2002 to more than 90% now.

BT said it now has a clearer picture of demand, which has enabled the more systematic, planned, roll-out.

During the last 18 months, BT, which still has 70% of the fixed-line phone market, has been trying to put broadband at the forefront of its strategy to modernise its business.

On Monday BT said it was both "disappointed" and "surprised" by reports that it might be split in two by the telecoms regulator Ofcom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3662119.stm

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:BT broadband to reach almost all
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:19 »
I now know why my local exchange has reached the trigger level much sooner than expected  ;D

WIFI has been granted a Licence here in the next 6 weeks and me thinks BT cant have them having a foothold before they roll out BB before them  ;)

Our exchange had over 200 people to sign up before April 15th and now in the last 2 weeks ....like Magic, the trigger level has been met  8)

Call me Suspicious...but it does seem funny  :P

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum