Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD Writer  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Ozzie34

• New Registration
DVD Writer
« on: May 01, 2004, 18:02 »
Hi

I am new to the forum and looking for some help please. I rently bought a new pc with DVD writer installed. I cannot get the pc to see the drive, it does not show up on "my computer". The company are not being very helpful, they have senta replacement drive, I have fitted this but no difference. On boot the drive shows with an orange light, the other drives fitted show with green. Any ideas, the drive is Sony.

Many thanks

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:DVD Writer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 18:30 »
Ozzie hi and welcome.

Are you running XP assuming its a new pc yes  ;D

In device drivers does it show up under dvd/cd- rom drives ?

if not, go to ide controllers pic shown below, is the drive enabled? in device usage.

Hookstar

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 18:39 »
I think you may need to look in Device Manager.   :)  In XP, the easiest way to find it is to right click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Manage.  You should see all the drives listed as below.  If the 'missing' drive is listed, right click it, and Uninstall, then reboot, and it should reinstall it for you.

By the way, different drives have different coloured lights.  My Sony is also orange, so I don't think that anything to do with it.

If it's not listed, let us know, and we'll think of something else.  It could be that the jumper on the drive isn't set correctly, according to how it is situated on the IDE cable, i.e. Master or Slave.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Ozzie34

• New Registration
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 18:58 »
Hi

thanks for such quick response.

Have had a look at this, under device manager the drive is not listed.

The reason I said about the orange light was because the manufacturer help desk said this was a sign not working, hence why they sent a replacement.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 19:01 »
Hi Ozzie34 :welcome:

When you start the computer, does the led on the front of the drive light up briefly or does it stay off?

If it doesn't light up at all, it could be a power problem. Try plugging-in a different power connector :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 20:16 »
I think he said above that it shows an orange light on boot up, Adept.  ;)  I've just rebooted mine, and my Sony light is orange (and it's working fine), and my Pioneer and Lite On drives are both green.

I'm no expert, but speaking from experience, it still sounds like a jumper issue, if it's getting power, but not showing in Device Manager.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 21:33 »

I think he said above that it shows an orange light on boot up, Adept.  ;)

So little time, so many posts :whistle: ::) :-[ ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum