Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Networking Broadband  (Read 1320 times)

Offline monster

Networking Broadband
« on: April 07, 2004, 13:26 »
Hiya guys,

My father is about to get broadband installed to his pc. Is it possible for me to network mine and his PC together so that i can recieve broadband upstairs where my pc is even when his pc is turned off?? :o

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Networking Broadband
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 14:26 »
In order to have independant control from either PC you need to have the BB modem connected to a router.
Depending on how easy, or how difficult, it is to get a cable from the router to your PC upstairs, then you may want a WAP (wireless access point) either in addition to your router or one thats built into the router.
Is it cable or ADSL that you are getting ?

This is the type of equipment that you would require if taking the wi fi otion  :

http://www.lopshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=101&osCsid=50f26724dd35cca7a92c68135ecdd2fc

Providing the modem that you have has an ethernet connection to enable it to connect to the router, most cable modems seem to have an ethernet connection.
If its ADSL and you havent got a modem yet or he has the option of ordering his ADSL with or without a supplied modem he would be better off geting it without and getting something like this :

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52244

Of course if using Wi Fi then you would in addition need a Wi Fi PCI card in your own PC as well  :)

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 13:22 »
if u have a router do you still need a bb modem? coz im getting bb at my house but theres a computer upstairs and downstairs and a dnt know much about this ort of stuff  ???

Jonah
quot;Spirits damned to rot
Amidst the brimstone fireballs
Eyes of the dead
Watching from their living walls
Broken glass reflections
Show your flesh eaten away
Beyond the gates I'll take you
Where the blood forever rains"

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 13:38 »

In order to have independant control from either PC you need to have the BB modem connected to a router.
Depending on how easy, or how difficult, it is to get a cable from the router to your PC upstairs, then you may want a WAP (wireless access point) either in addition to your router or one thats built into the router.

Jonah, does that not explain it clearly enough ?
If you need more detailed information let me know whether you will be getting cable or adsl and whether you would be hardwiring the connection (ethernet cable or usb for example) or taking the wireless option  :)

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 13:42 »
lol i would be using ethernet but wireless is for laptops int it? i currently have the phone line leading from downstairs and so does my mum (her pc is downstairs) but would the router cable be harder to take upstairs.. is it thicker or owt coz i have the cable from downstairs going up under the carpet and if i dnt get router then we cant both b on broadband? do you know how much it would be to get a router for bt broadband?

thanx in advance Jonah
Eyes of the dead
Broken glass reflections

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 14:26 »
Sorry for jumping in  ;D

You can use wireless with a normal PC as well. Just get a PCI wireless card inplace of your ethernet card and configure as needed. It is a bit more expenisve but saves all the hassel with wires etc.

For this you would need a wireless router or router and ADSL modem in one.

DJ

Offline monster

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 14:39 »
Is it possible that i just add another bluetooth usb adapter to the modem and connect that way??

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 14:43 »
You need to have a connection between the two computers.  If the main PC with brodband has a bluetooth apater already then this might work - but not too sure about sharing internet over bluetooth.

Maybe others can help more

DJ

Offline monster

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 14:46 »
I have been able to connect my mobile and phone together over the phone and use the phone as a modem but the bandwidth is so slow it is ridiculous!!

I am assuming that the other Pc could work in the same manor??

::)

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 14:48 »
my pc aint connected with ma mums can i have a router that a has a wire going to my pc and a wire fgoing to my mums?

Jonah
Eyes of the dead
Broken glass reflections

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 15:08 »
An ethernet cable is a little thicker than a telephone one, maybe twice as thick with a similar sized plug at the end.
Ethernet is easier to set up,faster and cheaper than wi fi if you can run the wires easily enough to all the pcs on your network  :)

Offline monster

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 16:12 »
I think that i will be getting wi fi as i saw a router wich takes ethernet and also is wifi enabled and best part is its only 56 quid.  And i notice that i can pick up a wifi card for my pc for about 15 quid aswell.

Happy Days

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum