Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ONCE AND FOR ALL  (Read 1931 times)

Offline jon996

ONCE AND FOR ALL
« on: May 13, 2004, 22:01 »
RIGHT. i promise if i dont get this sorted i will destory my computer with a big explosion. i really hacked off [like u can tell ;)] and i wont to get this sorted once and for all.
my comp keeps on f***in crashing. iv done windows repairs, reinstalled windows, done cpu.hdd utilites do see if they are the problem...NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL. I RECON MY MOBO HAS GONE?! AND ADDED TO THIS I HAVE NO MONEY WHAT SO EVER AND I DONT HAVE A JOB!!!! F***IN GREAT! [altho im gettin a job]. IF IT IS THE MOBO I WILL DESTORY IT WITH A VERY VERY BIG HAMMER. any suggestions  :-* :-* :)

A VERY HACKED OFF JON :brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh::brick: :help: :aarrgh:
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:ONCE AND FOR ALL
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 22:34 »
Run through the specs of your pc again for me please Jon  :)

Offline jon996

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 23:04 »
amd athlon 850mghz. epox 8kta+ mobo. 256ram.64mg gfx card  :P *cough*s**t*cough*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 23:15 »
Is it crashing random;y or while playing games ?
The systems a bit low spec for a lot of the newer games and that could be part of your problem Jon  :(

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 23:17 »
IF IT IS THE MOBO I WILL DESTORY IT WITH A VERY VERY BIG HAMMER. any suggestions

A two and a half pound lump hammer should do the job nicely  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 00:25 »
Tony, I'm shocked!!!

Trust you to go way over the top, when Jon's problem requires a far more conventional approach -- a simple claw hammer would do the job just as effectively.

Oh, that and perhaps a good anti-virus solution, too.

Offline jon996

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 15:45 »
:pmsl:  :lol: cheers tony n sandra n rodders..thing is sandra i dont play games.iv got f secure anti virus. i think i mite just getta job and buy a new dell...

but that wont happen til the next millenium so til then i dono wot im gonna do...could it be a mobo probs?? god im sooo stumped on this its not fair

broken or not a big fire is looking much promising...

i think i mite replace my mobo n cpu... :'(

**by the way** IT CRASHES EVERY 5 MINUTES OR SO
:brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick: :brick::brick:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 16:41 »
Has this just started happening ? what are you doing when it crashes, what OS is it ?

Burning your Mum and Dads house down is a bit drastic  ::) but if cash is a problem, then sorting it out has to be the route you take.

Just do a basic reinstall, security programs, OS updates and and the like. Don't load anything else, and for a day or two just do a bit of light surfing. See how it goes, if its OK start loading other stuff a bit at a time, untill it starts acting up again. Least ways if it acts up straight away, you know it's something like a corrupt OS or a hardwear problem. Adopting a measured and recorded proccess of software installation  should help in highlighting the problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 16:41 »
Any messages or does it just reboot or freeze ?
Are you on XP ?

Offline jon996

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 18:16 »
xp pro....just freezes...god u dont no how annoying this is...trying to "revise" and do coursework and it  crashes  :aarrgh:

Offline jon996

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 18:18 »

Just do a basic reinstall, security programs, OS updates and and the like.

gd idea. i shall do tht 2mo,agghhh tht means i gotta put my 40 in asa slave and put important docs on etc etc....o well sounds like a plan!

surely thers summit else i can do??

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 18:39 »
I would second what Tony said.  It could well be a program which you are loading each time, which is causing the trouble.

On the other hand, it could be something else, like a virus or spyware?  Can you keep it going long enough to post a Hijack This log on here?  Also, are you sure you haven't got the Blaster Worm?  You can get it just by downloading the updates for a new XP installation, if you haven't installed the Blaster Worm Patch first.  Suggest you download it and put it on a floppy, so you can install it before you go online, following your XP re-installation.

Might also be worth running the Removal Tool before you do anything else.  Can't hurt if you haven't got it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 18:56 »
Just my 2 pence on the first post:

I don't think its your mainboard ... that mainboard has an error checking control on it I think. It tests its components, and give a 2 digit (hex) readout on the board I think. As long as you getting INTO windows, I don't think its your board.

A "crash" like that sounds like something may be overheating.
Try simply taking the side off the PC and running it like that for a few days. BTW - that MIGHT not bring the temp down low enough to be stable if it is a temp issue, but thats worth a try.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 21:16 »
Here Jon,

You can usually check your case CPU temps via the bios, better still download this free Temp monitor, it will sit on your bottom tool bar. I use it, for Case and CPU Temps. I think Hook uses it also, as he posted this link a will back. Lest ways it will, prove or disprove a Temp problem

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 13:02 »
^ yes get that link.

When checking in your BIOS, it usually means you've either just switched the PC on, or its restarted. Either way, the CPU goes back to IDLE, and the temp reduces dramatically, so although you can check to see if its a little higher than normal, it wont give you the full picture...

CPU temp IDLE should really be less than 40c for best performance.

60c when not idle can start to give problems (depending on chip etc).

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum