Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: new pc crashes  (Read 1120 times)

Offline nailgun171

• New Registration
new pc crashes
« on: April 30, 2004, 21:24 »
hi there all, just built a pc for the first time, every now and then it crashes, how do I check this or rectify?

thx in advance.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:new pc crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 22:33 »
Hi Nailgun and  :welcome:  First thing I would do is check that you haven't been infected with the Blaster worm.  Most computers become infected within a few seconds of accessing the Internet for the first time so download the patch using a different machine.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 22:34 »
Can you give us some details of your pc and which OS you are using ?
Does it randomly crash or while using one particular program or game ?
Does it appear to crash after the same length of time that its been running ?

Offline nailgun171

• New Registration
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 08:03 »
hi  thx for your post, using XP pro, crashes randomly, sometimes on set up, sometimes after a while. Also i see my cpu temp is at 27c on start up but rises to 50c + pretty quickly, could this be a contributing factor?

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 08:40 »
Sounds like the cooler isn't doing it's job properly. I'd reseat the Heatsink and fan (after checking it is spinning up).
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:02 »
How long is pretty quickly taking? But in any case, reseating the HS on the CPU, would at least eliminate it from the equation if it wasn't that.

I'm running a XP2000+ at 37.C right now, with the case temp at 30.C But AMD reckon up to 60.C is in acceptable working parammiters. On my MSI Mobo you can set the "Critical Temp" warninmgs with a minimum of 70.C up to a Max of 95.C , so I reckon Mobo power cut off must be higher than 95.C

Mind you Dacks the expert, I'm just one of those amatures who messes about in beige cases now and again.  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline reice

• New Registration
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:56 »
Hello,

I have built an AMD and a P4 pc and both times i have had random resetting problems...so i bought a 3rd party heat sink for both and it stopped!
I havent built alot of pc's but in my expierience the standard heat sink you get with the processor dowsn't seem to be great...maybe you need a better heat sink  :)
Worth a go.

Mark.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum