Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Folder problem  (Read 1034 times)

Offline wibomps

Folder problem
« on: August 26, 2004, 15:24 »
Hi Peeple,
I gotta problem. I can't get in to certain folders. Some are ok. but when I try others I get a "Explorer has caused am error in shell32.dll" message and it then closes. I tried (Several) system restores - but they don't.
I really need access to my folders - Any idea what's going on here & how to fix it? Would be multi-megga-grateful for any suggestions.
Cheers
Bill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Folder problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 15:44 »
Usually a reboot cures that type of problem but I assume that this has been happening over a few days ?
Can you access them in safe mode ?

Offline wibomps

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 15:49 »
Hi,
No, I have tried several (hundred) reboots, safe mode has no effect on the problem, I have scanned it with AVG, Adaware and Spybot. My sytem restore doesn't (never has). It's odd that some folders will open, yet others won't
PS I'm running ME.
Cheers again.
Bill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 15:54 »
Are the folders that wont open on a different drive/partition to the ones that are ok or are they randomly scattered about your pc ?

Offline wibomps

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 17:01 »
Hi,
I've just managed to fix it. - Whilst scouring the ME help files, I found a facility to replace the registry with a backup version, (didn't know you could do this) - which I did - and it worked !! - (I did have to re install my modem after though). So all's well that ends well. Thanks for all your help though.
Cheers
Bill

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 18:06 »
Glad to hear the problem is fixed, but you still don't know why[/b] it happened, which might be interesting to find out, perhaps as a preventative measure?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 20:43 »
Was that by using the sfc.scannow thing Bill ?

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 23:35 »
wibomps - how exactly did you do this? I have the same problem. Sound a bit complicated to little old me  :o
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 00:12 »
Sorry Michelle, but we haven't heard from him since his problem was solved.  It would be useful if people came back to us with their solutions.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum