Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: i think i have a virus  (Read 750 times)

Offline white fly

i think i have a virus
« on: January 17, 2005, 20:30 »
hi guys !
i have broadband yet my computer speed is slow and will not load sites correctly. My friend said it could be a virus , i have tried ad-aware and quarantined 211 items. Could it be the system memory what is low ?
What could be the cause of it ?

Matt  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:i think i have a virus
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 21:37 »
It sounds more like spyware to me.  First thing I would do is get rid of the quarantined items in Ad Aware, then download and run Spybot S&D as well.  See what that finds, and if things improve.  If no better, try running both of those in Safe Mode, with System Restore disabled (temporarily), and see if that does the trick.  You could also download and run Hijack This, and post the log on here, which someone will look at for you, in case you have something neither Ad Aware or Spybot can get rid of.  I assume you do have up to date anti virus protection, and that you've done a comeplete virus scan?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:i think i have a virus
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 21:49 »
First, update your anti-virus signature files and run a complete test.  If that come up with nothing it might be your set up.  Is you modem/router connected directly into the phone socket (via the filter) or are you using a telephone extension lead?  If you are using a lead, try connecting directly into the telephone socket as extension leads can have an adverse affect on internet connections in some cases.

If everything seems OK at your end, go to http://www.adslguide.com and run a speed test.  If the results are very low , you need to contact your ISP.  My recent ISP (Fast24) has been getting loads of posts in the forums from broadband customers who are complaining that they got faster speeds with 56K dialup.  Therefore, you need to post the results of the speedtest to the support people at your ISP, as they are the people who will ultimately have to investigate the reason for you.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum