Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 2000 Pro & USB Modem Problem  (Read 1011 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Windows 2000 Pro & USB Modem Problem
« on: January 30, 2005, 14:40 »
This is not a serious problem for me, it is just annoying.

I currently have three computers on th go:

My main PC - Running Windows98SE (Internet connected).

A secondary PC - Running Windows ME (Internet connected).

My "test" PC - Which I use to test alternative operating systems and software.  I format it every week.

Yesterday, I formatted my secondary PC and so removed ME.  I then installed Windows 2000 Pro on it.  The problem with it is that every time I restart it, it uninstalls my Speedtouch 300 USB broadband modem and I have to reinstall it.  As I say, this is not really a problem as I rarely use this PC.  It's really here as a backup.

I have now reformatted it and put ME back on and the problem has gone away.  The modem is definitely compatable with 2000 Pro, as my sister uses exactly the same modem on her 2000 Pro machine.  It can't be a virus or nasty as it happens with a clean install.  Has anybody any ideas?

???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Windows 2000 Pro & USB Modem Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 14:55 »
Does it work ok once you have reinstalled it Dave or does it drop the connection after a few minutes or if you go onto a different webpage ?
I had a problem with my USB modem doing that, although it didnt uninstall, it was dropping the connection. That turned out to be an incompatability issue between the modem and the onboard USB ports.
I resolved that one by disabling the onboard ports and using a USB PCI card which used different chips to the mobo  :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 15:00 »
That might be the problem, Sandra, as when it happens and I look in Device Manager the modem has disappeared but the USB section opens and shows "Unknown Device".

As I say, it ain't a problem as I've now put ME back on it, but it was annoying.  >:(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 21:11 »
Just to state the bleeding obvious, but are you sure you had the right drivers for it to run on W2K, Dave?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 22:26 »
I presume so, Simon.

When you insert the installation CD and run it, there are only two choices to make - "Install Modem Drivers" and "Install Modem Doctor" (or something like that).  As I say, it works fine on my sister's machine - 2000 Pro and same modem and setup disk - so I can't imagine that the drivers are a problem.  

Next time I try it, I'll disable the onboard USB 1.1 and try a USB 2.0 PCI card and see if that makes any difference.  Also, instead of letting it auto-detect my OS, I'll explore the CD and pick the drivers myself.  The annoying thing is that as it is now 2005 I was thinking it should be safe(ish) to upgrade to Windows 2000.  I mean, if it's still flawed five years and several service packs on, it won't ever be ready.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 00:10 »
Win 2000 Pro is Microsofts most secure OS, indeed it is the only MS OS to receive certifiction from the body that issues such security accreditation. Tried to find a link to the news realse...mind it was a year or so when I saw last saw it.

You must be completely nuts Dave, still using ME and Win 98 when you have W2K Pro...... :-X ;)

Anyway sd it, I'm off to listen to Bill ....Fury that is  ;D

nite
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum