Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: hard drive woes  (Read 1269 times)

Offline jon996

hard drive woes
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:29 »
hey all,

just put in a new hard drive as a slave but xp wont find it. well it will, it is in device manager and recognises it as the make and model, but it isnt in my computer?!?!??! whats going on. i need to put some files on there asap as i need to format this one?

Anyone?

Cheers jon
rive it like you stole it!

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
hard drive woes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 12:36 »
Check the jumpers on the slave drive, to make sure they are correct, and also make sure you have connected the IDE cable correctly, to the right terminal on the cable.

Does the drive show in the list when you boot up?

Have you had a look in your BIOS to make sure it's being detected?

Lastly, how big is the new hard drive, and how old is your PC?  Some BIOS's need to be updated before they will accept large hard drives, but don't go there before speaking to an expert.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline jon996

hard drive woes
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:39 »
on the drive it says "no jumper for slave". comes up in bios and bootup screen and tis a 40gig . i donno whats going on :evil:  :evil:  :!:  :?:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
hard drive woes
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:48 »
I forgot how I did when I installed my second slave HHD, as it showed as part and extention of the first drive.

But as yours is showing in the device manager, and if Simons suggestions don't work fully with you, you may right clic on it in the device manager, and make it a separate partition by formatting it and giving it a name and a letter. Probably it'll work in that way, if my memory is good.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline jon996

hard drive woes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 13:09 »
just went on the maxtor site. apparently this has a windows issue or something. HOWEVER, it is sorted now:) thanks you 2  :D  :D

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
hard drive woes
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 13:26 »
Jon, it would be useful if you told us how it was sorted, as the information may benefit others.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
hard drive woes
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 14:41 »
I should think that it just needed formatting from inside admin tools/disk management Jon didnt it ?
Although usually XP recognises new hardware and asks if you want to initialise and format the new drive  :?

Offline jon996

hard drive woes
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 15:09 »
yeah spot on sandra. although strangly XP didnt recognise it :P  thanks again

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum