Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Speakers 'cracking'  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Speakers 'cracking'
« on: September 17, 2005, 22:20 »
Since I moved, and set up the PC again, each time I turn it on, the speakers give out a really loud 'CRACK', like they are at full volume.  The same happens when I shut down, but when running, the speaker volume is normal.  Everything is connected as it was, and there seems no reason for this.  Any ideas, anyone?  :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Speakers 'cracking'
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 23:30 »
have you gone into properties in sounds and audio devices.?

Go in there and set it at default level to see if it comes back to normal.

BTW do you have the sound icon in taskbar?

As everytime I reboot my pc the icon is gone from taskbar.  I have to open sound and audio devices untick  icon then apply then tick again to bring it back.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Speakers 'cracking'
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:22 »
I had a computer which did exactly the same Simon.  It didn't really bother me though and I just lived with it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Speakers 'cracking'
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 09:29 »
Quote from: "Lona"
have you gone into properties in sounds and audio devices.?

Go in there and set it at default level to see if it comes back to normal.

Yes, I did that, but on the default setting, the volume is WAY too high.

Quote from: "Lona"
BTW do you have the sound icon in taskbar?

As everytime I reboot my pc the icon is gone from taskbar.  I have to open sound and audio devices untick  icon then apply then tick again to bring it back.

Yes, I do have that icon, but it does disappear from time to time.  If you right click the Taskbar, select Properties > Customise, you can choose how the icons behave.  Oddly, my speaker icon appears when I come out of Standby, but it's hidden at other times.

Quote from: "Clive"
I had a computer which did exactly the same Simon.  It didn't really bother me though and I just lived with it.

Yes, I could live with it, but it's just annoying that a silly problem has developed, which I can't seem to resolve.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Speakers 'cracking'
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 13:51 »
Have you got a seperate sound card or is it on board Simon ?
If its a card have you checked that its seated fully as it may have moved slightly during your house move.
The only other thing that I can think of is that you possibly damaged the connection inside the plug that goes into the sound socket when you removed or replaced it. Can you get it to crackle once its booted up by moving the wire slightly near the plug end ?

I had the same problem with my volume icon sometimes being there and sometimes not but I may have found a fix as since I did it I have had it showing each time its started and have tried it 5 times to check it out  :)

Open the network places folder, on the menu on the left there is something that says Hide icons for networked UPnP devices, click on that and the icon should appear and should be there on subsequent reboots  :)

This is something I found on a site talking about problems with SP2

there is a new item called "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices."  This is terrible task for several reasons. First off it's not something that most users need to do since most users don't know what a UPnP device is. In fact most users don't have any devices to hide so the task is totally useless. Additionally the task is phrased in programming terms and does not address the real problem, what the user wants is to reduce the clutter in their network folder.

So it seems as if it doesnt matter if those icons are showing or hidden  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Speakers 'cracking'
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 14:19 »
More information from Microsoft about the UPnP and SP2 and firewall :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886257&SD=tech

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum