Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Looking for anti-virus software.  (Read 937 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Looking for anti-virus software.
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:31 »
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy some antivirus software. I used to use Sophos (during university), but since I've finished I need a replacment.

I would like software that automatically updates and isn't too intrusive.

I've used AVG before, but not Symantec or McAfee.

Anyone have any preferences?

DJ

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 14:16 »
Don't forget that with Symantic you have to pay an annual free for each computer you have it installed on.  I have heard only good reports about AVG although I confess to using Symantic myself.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 19:10 »
I use AVG.  However, I have heard that Avast (free) is easily the best out there, finding, virus', rogue files etc. that all the others miss.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 19:16 »
I have always used Symantec, which is unobtrusive, and auto updates, but can be a pig to install.  I haven't used any of the free alternatives, but as has been said, AVG and Avast have good reputations, although I'm not sure if they auto update.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 19:53 »
AVG definitely auto updates, but (I understand) you have to set it up that it doesn't re-install the whole thing each time.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 21:04 »
I use AVG - its free and does a damn good job!

I've never had the issue Clive mentioned. The autoupdates work fine - only occasionally when it is a big version change do you have to reinstall it. I do find that at times the autoupdate doesnt do its thing, though it does tell you that the virus definition are old - message in the toolbar. Its pretty good and deals with most stuff.

I also used to use Symantec but I found it obtrusive in the amount of processing power and general system resources. Its good and does an excellent job. You pay for what you get really.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum