Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Broadband disconnects when receiving a fax  (Read 984 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Broadband disconnects when receiving a fax
« on: October 20, 2005, 16:16 »
Hi All,

I have a problem with my broadband that has been happening for some time.

Basically I have my router connected to the socket along with a fax machine that has a filter on it.

Whenever we receive a fax, we are unable to use the broadband connection.

What could be causing it? Is there a problem with the line? We have already tried a different fax and it still occurs.

Thanks

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 18:00 »
This could be complete twaddle, DJ, but when I send / receive faxes on my PC (I know yours is a separate fax machine), it uses the standard 56K modem.  If this is connected to the phone line via my broadband filter, I lose my broadband connection each time the 56K modem is used.  I only found this out when I moved recently, and had inadvertently connected it in this way.  If I use a phone socket doubler, so that the 56K modem is connected to the BT line separately to the broadband filter, everything is OK.  
Maybe you just need a similar set up, so as to connect your fax machine directly to the BT line, without it going through the router?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 22:51 »
At the moment I have:

Phone Socket - Normal Socket Doubler 1 - Filter - Broadband Modem
                                                               2 - Fax Machine (No Filter)

I will try it the other way around - so that the fax machine and brodband go through the filter tomorrow, but I'm sure this didn't change anything last time.

Cheers Simon :thumb:

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 01:06 »
I think that the fax should be into a filter as well as its basically a phone.
I have my filter plugged into the main socket, my modem/router plugged into the dsl connector, a doubler into the phone part and my cordless into that leaving a spare connection in case I build or test a pc with a 56k modem fitted so that I can test it without disconnecting anything.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 09:23 »
It seems to be working now.

We had a a few problems with the fax a while ago and the BT engineer said to try the fax without the filter - I think we never changed it back from there.

Simple things eh?  :laugh:

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum