Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: i have a problem with the avaialbale space on my hard disk  (Read 1180 times)

Offline voodootjs

i have a problem with the free space available n actual free space on my hard disk. the problem is on 2 drives, namely C and E.
the properties of the drive tell me that a free space of 1.2 gb is available of 7.44 gb. where as when i go inside the drive n using ctrl+A select all files( all hidden folders n system folders included) i see that the space on disk is 5.6 occupied so i must have around 1.84gb free space. so for no reason a chunk of 600 mb is missing. so also in drive E. i also checked for temp files n removed all cookies n crap like that. i hope some one can explain me whats wrong n set the problem right. i checked with both norton n spysweeper for any intruders. n also the recycle bin space is 0bytes. this is really amazing thats happening.......... i cant help sitting idle n neither can i stop at laughing. :)

n also for some reason i see that my virtual memory is running on 430-490 mb. i got a 256ddr mb ram n the limits of page file r 1.5 times n 2 times.

hope someone of u will do something out. bye. take care.

Offline sam

• Administrator
i have a problem with the avaialbale space on my hard disk
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 21:10 »
the virtual memory probably takes account for this issue (I'm not entirely sure though, im a linux person). this value also sounds about right for a windows operating system - what version of windows are u using?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 21:13 »
Hi, voodootjs.

I think you will find that your problem is simply the way that files are stored on the hard drive.  File systems allocate space in chunks called clusters and each file can only use a whole number of clusters.  Therefore, if the file does not use the whole cluster, the rest of the space is wasted.  It's a bit like having to use a litre jug to store an eggcup of water - you need to use the whole jug but most of the volume is wasted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 21:58 »
Defragging the drive might help a bit (but takes ages!), but as Sam said, it sounds more like the Operating System taking up the space.  Is it a mass-market shop bought PC?  They usually have some of the OS stored in a hidden partition, so that they only give you a recovery CD, instead of the full Windows installation CD.  That could also account for some of the space, although that would usually only be on your main (C) drive.  Do you also have an Operating System installed on your E drive?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline voodootjs

hey
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:05 »
nah i dont have a OS on drive E. i too doubt the OS is using th memory but i dont find that a good reason enought to be so. coz case 1. even if the OS allocates certain space for its extensive use it would definitely make evident of the actual free space as the available space.
case 2: i understand the concepts of clusters n how a file is stored but yet the available space is shown... thought at times it couldnt be stored.........

i dont know what to do but i got to see what i can. i will appreciate if some more new ideas bump. thanx for replying guys.....

n let b clear again...... when i rt click on local disk C n see the properties i find a free space say x mb. but actually the contents r not that much in size n i shuld have at first place a free space of x+600 mb.

c ya guys.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:28 »
well the virtual memory takes care of a rather large chunk of that 600mb if it is set to 400 or so....
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum