Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 2000 Pro - The DLL Eater.  (Read 1069 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Windows 2000 Pro - The DLL Eater.
« on: November 23, 2005, 22:13 »
As some will remember, I recently got rid of the fantastic Windows ME (98SE with the addition of system restore and a few other things) and put on the dreadful Windows 2000 Pro, so that I could install Office 2003 as work are now on 2003 and it requires either 2000 SP4 or XP to run it.

Windows 2000 Pro is the most pathetic excuse for an operating system I have ever come across.  Besides it's total lack of useful features such as MSConfig, System Restore and a Scandisk that only runs before the operating system loads, it has to be the most insecure OS ever invented by anyone.  Now nobody in their right mind would depend on Microsoft for their online security, but 2000 doesn't even allow you to use third party software to keep safe.  Yesterday, I arrived home from work, switched on the PC and was met with a message that AVG Anti-Virus couldn't load due to a missing .dll.  Totally peed off with this crap, I connected up a spare computer and used that, thinking that as I only work until 1PM on Wednesdays I would have all tomorow afternoon to reinstall it.  However, when I got home today and switched on, I was greeted with another message that Zone Alarm couldn't load due to yet another missing .dll.  At that point, I gave up.

I have had a computer on my desk since 1999 when I arrived back from three years at Uni, running Windows 98, Windows 98SE and most recently Windows ME and in six years haven't had any real problems nor a single virus.  In the week and a half that I have been running 2000 Pro, I have had more crashes, freezes and programs that won't run than I had in total in the previous six years.  I am currently typing this with no firewall or anti-virus, as first thing Saturday morning the Windows 98 boot disk is going in the a: drive and format c: will be taking place, followed by a fresh installation of the reliable and feature-packed ME.  Until then, I just can't be bothered to do any more faffing about with this pathetic excuse for software.

As Windows 2000 is NT based and is really designed for businesses and corporations, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.  How often do business systems crash?  Every day.  Says it all really.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 22:33 »
Apart from that, no problems, Dave?  :grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 23:43 »
well its not one for the home user really. I know a few people who have quite hapily used this version of windows for a few years, but they have all seen the light in recent times and swapped to Fedora.  This is the way buisness that want realiable systems will go! Well not fedora but some useful distro of linux - probably debain based.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:47 »
Oh Dave, Win Me is a complete dog!  I used it myself for a couple of years and I was sooooo glad when I upgraded to XP Home.  Crashes are almost unheard of and even then it's usually software such as Word and not a total crash.  

Those missing .dll's on your security are worrying though and makes me wonder if you have been "got at".

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 16:58 »
Well, Clive, I wondered if I had been "got at" but an online virus scan (as AVG isn't working) an online trojan scan, Xsoftspy, Adaware and Spybot didn't come up with anything.  I don't suppose it matters if I have been got at, because in forty eight hours time that piece of trash will have gone for good and I'll be back in control of what's happening on my machine with a clean install of something that I have found to work, either 98SE or ME depending on which disk I happen to find first.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 21:36 »
:lol:   You must have got it down to a fine art by now Dave!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum