Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DISK READ ERROR  (Read 1101 times)

Offline POSTMAN477

DISK READ ERROR
« on: January 29, 2006, 17:59 »
occassionaly whenstarting up my computer i get a message saying disk read error....and it asks me to enter boot disk?????
it doesnt always do it....I  simpy try again and again until it starts  ????any ideas guys?
 :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
DISK READ ERROR
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 20:37 »
Not to worry you unduly, but how old is your hard drive?  It may have a bad sector, or it maybe that the IDE cable just wants removing and replacing again.  This happened to a friend, and it's been fine since he did that.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline POSTMAN477

OK......
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 20:50 »
Its a new ish hard drive about 3 months old...and its a sata setup...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
DISK READ ERROR
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 21:20 »
... over to Sandra!  :grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline McClane

DISK READ ERROR
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 16:49 »
When the computer boots fine do you have a disc in your CD/DVD drive? It could just be a case that you have the bios set to boot from your CD/DVD drive first and it is expecting a CD/DVD in the drive so when it doesn't fine one it gives you an error and asks you to insert a disc.

You can fic it by going in to the bios and setting you hdd as the first boot device.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
DISK READ ERROR
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 16:54 »
I had missed this post somehow  :blush:

As McClane suggests, check the BIOS for the first boot device.
As you are booting from a SATA drive then you may have to hit F8 to set the first device type in there and then enter the BIOS to say which drive, if you have more than one SATA  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum