Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: WINADCTL.exe  (Read 1762 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
WINADCTL.exe
« on: March 04, 2006, 13:39 »
Found this little nasty today  :evil:  only spotted it because my cpu was permanently at >30% use.  Had to resort to disabling sys restore and booting in safe mode, then zapped it with hijack this  :D .  Feel good now touch wood.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 13:56 »
Spyware Blaster might have blocked it in the first place, Dave.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 14:20 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Spyware Blaster might have blocked it in the first place, Dave.  ;)

Unfortunately it didnt as it was up and running (and up to date)  :cry:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 14:31 »
Oh.  :blush2:  I actually now have three real time spyware scanners, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Doctor, and my new Anti Virus / Firewall Suite, F-Secure, which also looks out for nasties.  Needless to say, when one comes along, they will probably all conflict and let it through anyway!  

:grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 15:37 »
I think i've been resting on my laurels as i thought i was pretty well covered with norton antivirus, zonealarm free, spyware blaster, spyware guard, spybot, adaware, stinger, x-ray pc and hijack this  :?

Are you using Firefox 1.5 Simon, i havent got my finger out and upgraded yet.  Incidentally do you do a clean install or leave the old versions of firefox on your pc ??

Offline Simon

• Administrator
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 15:53 »
Oh yes, I forgot about Spyware Guard - that's 4!  You were unlucky that it slipped through all your defences, Dave.

I have installed Firefox 1.5, and yes, you do have to uninstall the old version, but I still primarily stick to the Mozilla Suite.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 16:11 »
Quote from: "Simon"

I have installed Firefox 1.5, and yes, you do have to uninstall the old version, but I still primarily stick to the Mozilla Suite.

Do your settings get saved somewhere then ??  i'm sure with previous updates i havent uninstalled the old version first and its all worked ok  :roll:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 21:10 »
Yes, your settings are kept in a separate file, inside your Firefox Profile, which is usually in:-

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[xxxxxxxxx].  

All your bookmarks, passwords, etc are saved there, and should reappear in your new Firefox installation.  I would just say, however, that if you have loads of plugins for your old Firefox, these will all need updating in the new version, which you can easily do by going to Tools > Extensions > Find Updates, if it doesn't do it automatically for you.  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
WINADCTL.exe
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 13:59 »
Cheers Simon  :wink: i spent some time researching it last night and the opinions are mixed, but think i'll do a nice clean install.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum