Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Cheap fuel ?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Cheap fuel ?
« on: May 24, 2006, 14:44 »
Interesting article on the new fusion reactor thats just been given the go ahead to build :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1781601,00.html

If and when someone does manage to make a commercially viable fusion reactor then who would really benefit from it I wonder ?

I doubt that the governements, oil, gas and electrical companies would provide energy to the ordinary people at a reasonable price  :roll:

The one main advantage would be that it would stop OPEC literally holding us over a barrel so that the western nations wouldnt have to be so careful with what they did or said about the middle east.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 15:50 »
Didn't someone claim to have succeeded with cold fusion a few years back but it didn't bear scrutiny?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 15:54 »
A few people claim to have managed it Clive.

Its never been validated though and the people who originally published that they had done it couldnt reproduce the experiment in front of credible witnesses  :roll:

I expect if some unknown individual ever did manage to get cold fusion to work then they would be bought off by the oil companies or maybe have some obscure kind of accident that ended up killing them  :shock:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 16:14 »
You are such a cynic Sandra!   :laugh:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 18:24 »
I'm hoping that Ben Scammel's Pipeline Card will result in a fuel miracle.  Check it out, it won't hurt you to have a read about what he's trying to with the petrol giants.

This very worthy scheme is entirely non-profit, but does depend on strength in numbers.  I joined and, if you like Ben's idea, hope that you will too.  Please spread the word!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 18:33 »
I've just joined!

Offline sam

• Administrator
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:35 »
Didn't someone claim to have succeeded with cold fusion a few years back but it didn't bear scrutiny?

yes, "bubble" fusion... its not that they haven't been able to repeat it infront of people as many have done it, it is just that it doesnt apper to work...  take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_fusion
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Cheap fuel ?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 01:43 »
From what i read on cnn they predict an experimental fusion reactor sometime in the next 20-30 years. By that time other forms of cheap energy will be available. What use would there be for a fusion reactor costing 6bn euro if theres cheap fuels out there far less dangerous.

To me this just seems like a bunch of scientists want to see if they can do it at the expensive of a bunch of suckered nations.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum