Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Your opinions please on some spyware software  (Read 3260 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Your opinions please on some spyware software
« on: January 09, 2007, 17:40 »
Happy new year chaps and chapesses  :)

i've decided to ditch spybot as it completely refuses to update on one of my pc's and is troublesome to update on the other. I noticed in computeractive this week they mention two products.  One is called SPYWARE DOCTOR 4, CA 0ffer a free download of this but as is often the case their server times out, tho' i'm sure i could find it elsewhere.  The other software they mention is called SPYWARE TERMINATOR which i have already downloaded but not installed. Anybody tried either of these (Simon are you there or has Cyberhawk taken over your machine yet  :-X).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Your opinions please on some spyware software
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 18:24 »
I ditched Cyberhawk after the infamously embarrassing trial on here, Dave!  :blush:  I currently use one of the security packages (Kaspersky), which includes spyware protection, but I also run Windows Defender, which is real time.  I did try Spyware Terminator, but it's a bit like a new firewall, and flashed up so many warnings, I lost patience, but I have seen it highly recommended, and probably, had I given it more time, it would have been fine.  Of course, the best about it is, it's free.  As an 'on demand' occasional scanner, I also have SuperAntiSpyware on board, which comes in 'Free' or 'Pro' flavours, the main difference being that the free version doesn't offer real time protection (but Windows Defender does, and is also free, so you could have both).

Hope that helps a bit.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 18:34 »
Try Me  o:)

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today.
By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 18:51 »
Stay clear of Spyware Doctor as it finds lots of false positives and it will then want payment to remove them.  Spywareblaster and SuperAntiSpyware and both very good and easy to use.  Why don't you uninstall Spybot and start over again?  I had a similar problem with it refusing to update on Mrs Clive's machine but a reinstall sorted it.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 19:14 »
Thanks guys i think i'll leave spyware doctor alone.  I did try uninstalling the latest spybot completely in safe mode then reinstalling, still problems. I already have spyware blaster, spyware guard and the latest adaware so i'm probably ok without it  :crazy:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 20:21 »
SpywareBlaster is OK, but it doesn't update very frequently, whereas some of the others mentioned update daily.  Just something to bear in mind.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 23:02 »
I have avg antispyware free software. 

The only problem I have with it is it keeps loading at startup and scanning pc.  I have tried unticking it on msconfig but it still manages to restart itself at bootup. 

It's a really good product and has found things other spyware software didn't find. I just wish I could get it to stop loading itself at startup.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 23:12 »
Although, ultimately, SpywareBlaster shares the same objective as other anti spyware s/w, it has a slightly different function, in as much as it prevents many 'drive-by' installations from occurring in the first place.  It's very highly regarded in the security community and should be included in everyone's panoply of system armour.  You simply update it, run it, then close the program.  No overheads.

It's free, and you can choose to either ignore it or install it, but it you'll avoid many more problems when it's installed.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 23:23 »
You could do worse than download 30 days worth of the Trend Micro Anti-Spyware application, too.  It's not free after the trial period, but will get you out of a hole temporarily if you're in trouble.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 23:27 »
I have avg antispyware free software. 

The only problem I have with it is it keeps loading at startup and scanning pc.  I have tried unticking it on msconfig but it still manages to restart itself at bootup. 

It's a really good product and has found things other spyware software didn't find. I just wish I could get it to stop loading itself at startup.

I tried that for a while, and also found it quite good, but it never actually found any spyware on my PC - perhaps just because all my other prevention measures had done their job.  However, I never had the problem of it starting with Windows when uninvited, and I believe there's an option within the program settings to disable this, Lona.

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:35 »
The 2 programs that always rate well are "Spy Sweeper" and "CounterSpy", i'm
using "CounterSpy" i find it a lot better than the free programs like "spybot"

http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/spy-sweeper-review.html

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum