Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Microsoft already at work on Vista's successor, codenamed Vienna  (Read 669 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
PC-Pro

With Vista barely a couple of months old, it seems that we won't have to wait five years until Microsoft unveils the new OS's replacement.

Ben Fathi, a corporate VP in Microsoft's Windows Core Operating System Division, said in a media interview that the software company is drawing up plans to usurp the software with a follow-up codenamed 'Vienna'.

Fathi said that work on Vista was delayed as the company got to grips with sorting out a number of security flaws in XP that prompted it to release Service Pack 2 in August 2004.

This work led to a significant number of features in the new operating system being dropped, such  as a new filing system called WinFS. It is hoped the first service pack touted for Vista will add features, such as HD-DVD playback and Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (NGSCB), formerly known as Palladium. The service pack will also include bug fixes already reported in the software.

Fathi said that Longhorn (Vista's codename) was put on the 'back burner for a while' as developers fixed problems.

'Then when we came back to it, we realised that there were incremental things that we wanted to do, and significant improvements that we wanted to make in Vista that we couldn't deliver in one release,' Fathi told PC World magazine.

He said that Vista had been delivered two and a half years after XP Service Pack 2 and expected the new OS to be ready in the same time frame, around 2009.

He said that one of the new features that might show up in Vienna was "Hypervisors", adding virtualisation code into the OS itself. He added that the next few months would reveal more about the nascent OS.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Microsoft already at work on Vista's successor, codenamed Vienna
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28 »
Well, one of the IT tutors at work, who has many years of experience alongside plenty Microsoft certified qualifications, described Vista to me as "The new ME".  If Microshaft are already on its replacement, they cannot have much confidence in it either.  I'm just waiting for Gates to come out and describe it as "The second biggest regret of my life" (having famously described releasing Windows ME as his biggest regret).

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 13:03 »
It can only be a matter of time before he does, if this review of Vista is anything to go by!

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 13:43 »
that summises my thoughts on the subject quite nicely too.. .I have played with vista quite a bit now, while impressed I was always thinking I wish this was a mac.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum