Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless and Network Printer  (Read 2467 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Wireless and Network Printer
« on: February 25, 2007, 15:17 »
Hi All,

As some of you may be aware - I recently bought a new network printer - well now i want to move it.

Problem is, it won't be near my wireless router or a PC. So what I need is a switch / bridge (not sure which is the right term), that allows me to plug the ethernet cable from the printer into it and then connect over the wireless network to my other PC and two laptops.

So in theory, I'll be able to printer over the wireless network and the printer isn't connected to one PC or directly (by cable) to the router.

Is this possible? and if so what do I need - I prefer Netgear products as I already use a Netgear wireless router and modem.

Cheers :thumb:

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Wireless and Network Printer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37 »
Sorry you haven't received a reply yet, DJ.  I'm having trouble getting my head round exactly what you want to do, but I'm sure it will appear simple enough to someone like Sandra.  ;)  My first thought was, why do you need the printer to be where there is no PC?  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 13:15 »
There probably will be something to do it DJ but I dont know of one  :(

There are ethernet to USB adaptors but thats the wrong way round, as you could then use a USB wi fi dongle.

Can you not get a cable to it somehow ?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 17:45 »
My first thought was, why do you need the printer to be where there is no PC?  :dunno:

Well it is near a PC - but that PC won't always be switched on and connected to the printer, when I want to print using my laptop.

The idea is that I can print from anywhere using my laptop over the wireless network - so running a cable from my laptop to the printer is a no go - will have a look around and see what there is.

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 18:41 »
Not sure if it would work, but what about those wireless USB adapters you can get?  If you used one of them in the printer, would it be able to receive from the laptop via the router?  There's a few of what I mean listed here, but you may be able to get them cheaper by shopping around.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 19:36 »
Hi

I think I'll need to buy a wireless printer server (something like THESE).

But they look a bit expensive so think I might do without for now!

Will look into it further and see if there is any other alternatives.

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 20:57 »
Could try eBay, DJ.  These seem a little cheaper.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum