Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Wife is being a pain, she wants internet access when I want it.  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Bugger I thought it went to easy, I have now uncovered a niggling glitch:

On the PC using the USB wireless adapter, if I boot up using the Administrator log in

it connects to the internet with no problems.

If I then log off as Administrator,and log back in as a Power User, it will again connect

to the internet OK.However if the PC has been switched off, and first logging in as a

Power User, it will not connect to the internet.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Install it again when logged in as the user thats going to be using it  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Install it again when logged in as the user thats going to be using it  :)

I tried that Sandra,I gave the user Administrator rights, so as to install hardware and software. Fine until I took Admin rights away.

For newbies that maybe don't know this, you do not by default surf the web in Administrator log in mode. Because if you are hacked into while logged in as Administrator, you have just given the hacker Administrator rights  :bawl:]

I got this from 3Com support,

Dear Tony,

thank you for the email. I have reviewed your case and solution for the issue you described is:
- uninstall 3com wireless card utility
- make sure you still have drivers installed for the WNIC
- use only WZC wireless windows utility for connecting to wireless networks

These steps should solve your issue.

Thank you for your interest in 3com.

WZC what the flip is that, finds out it is part of Win XP, I'm using W2K Pro, as I can put it on as many PC's as I like without having to cross Bill's palm with silver AGAIN  :o:

I'll email them back and ask for a fix for the W2K OS, my fault really I should have said I was using W2K OS. They just assumed I would be on XP. Seems like what they are saying in a roundabout way is, the "Utility" on the supplied CD has a glitch in it. It has drivers on it for Win 98, ME, W2K and XP, the W2K and XP drivers are one and the same, and they are the latest ones because I checked.

So for now I'm resigned to using the log in, log out as Admin on the first boot up of the day, after that you can log in and out using the other three users profiles, and be connected to the Web.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum