Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Users are biggest threat to mobile-phone security  (Read 686 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Users are biggest threat to mobile-phone security
« on: July 13, 2007, 22:40 »
Users are the weakest link when it comes to protecting information systems, because of social engineering, which relies on the manipulation of people rather than machines.

The same trickery is being used against mobile-phone users, despite attempts by companies to create relatively secure operating systems, such as the market leader, Symbian.

F-Secure security expert, Patrik Runald, said in an interview with ZDNet Australia last week that the Symbian operating system is "fairly secure".

"All the malware we've seen so far relies on the user installing it themselves, bypassing three to four security warnings, so there hasn't really been a flaw in the operating system," he said.

Runald admits some problems may be caused by unclear instructions on the user-interface but, by and large, it is caused by users ignoring warning signs.

Runald said that there have been a few cases where cybercriminals have disguised files to make them look like an interesting shareware or freeware, but mostly he blames user ignorance.

"They think it's about ringtones, games, wallpapers, videos; all good and fun things but there are actually malicious things out there as well," said Runald.

Threat from Bluetooth
Bluetooth users may find themselves asked: "Would you like to install this program now?" When they click "no", the question persists. Often immediately until they choose the other option out of frustration.

"That's the reason why people get infected: because they repeatedly click no and obviously 'no' doesn't work and so they click 'yes' and they get infected," said Runald. When faced with this type of scenario, he advises users to "Just walk away".

"Bluetooth has a very limited range ? it's about 15 to 20 metres. Then go into your Bluetooth settings and disable Bluetooth completely or make it hidden for all other devices," Runald added.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Users are biggest threat to mobile-phone security
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 22:50 »
Bit of a catch 22 there, as probably more people than ever are using Bluetooth in cars for hands-free devices.  I have never had anything malicious happen (I think it's slightly over-hyped, since AV companies now supply protection for phones) but my phone has occasionally tried to connect to other phones (or vice-versa) via Bluetooth.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 22:55 »
I don't think my 10 year old mobile phone has Bluetooth.   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 23:00 »
You can get a handy pocket sized Bluetooth adapter for older phones, Clive.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 23:02 »
Mine might be slightly too big to fit that adaptor Simon.  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 23:06 »
Now you're just boasting.  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:44 »
i think bluetooth on laptops is probably more of a risk
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum