Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD "war" is more like a slap fight  (Read 561 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD "war" is more like a slap fight
« on: September 07, 2007, 22:53 »
Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD "war" is more like a slap fight, with both sides nearing exhaustion. Sony inadvertently reveals how badly sales are declining.

LINK

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD "war" is more like a slap fight
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:34 »
If the industry would learn that format wars is not something the consumer finds attractive, they might start getting somewhere.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:27 »
Why switch when the majority of people don't have tvs capable of displaying high def quality in the first place? Even then whats the point? I'm not going to go out and replace my movies. Hell, I tend to lower the quality of the movies i rent to fit them on my 4.5gig dvdrs. It looks like the majority of consumers just don't give a flying f***.

Its either that or nobody wants to invest tons of money in a format that might bite the dust in a few months.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:21 »
I toyed with the idea of HD or BluRay, but as Bob said, most mid range TVs (mine included) can't display the full HD resolution, despite the marketing ploy of them being labelled 'HD Ready'.  Mine will accept the higher resolutions, but then scales the image back down to it's native resolution.  This means that by using an 'upscaling' DVD player, you are putting the signal through a lot of unnecessary processing, and can actually end up with a worse picture quality than from a good standard DVD player, as I discovered to my cost.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum