Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Printer C*ck Up  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
Printer C*ck Up
« on: February 06, 2003, 13:32 »
I decided to use my printer for the first time but it wasn't working. I followed the advice of the troubleshooter and deleted the printer so I could reinstall it. When I tried to do that it said I need a windows 98 disc which I haven't got!!!! what can I do?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Printer C*ck Up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 13:37 »
When your OS was installed Whiskas did someone put the CAB files on your hard drive? If they did then you can tell it to look there and it will get the necessary info from them.
Look on your C drive and see if you have a folder called win 98 ,thats where they should be if you only have the one drive and one partition.
Failing that go to START, FIND FILES or FOLDERS and type in win 98 and see if you can find them  :)

Adept

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 13:41 »
First of all Whiskas, you need to check whether the required Windows files are already on your hard drive. Most PC manufacturers copy the Windows disk into a folder on the hard drive.

Have a look to see if you have a WIN98 folder. It could also be in windowsoptionscabs.

If you have files in either of these folders, they could be the ones you want. When prompted for the Windows 98 CD, just click the browse button and choose the folder on your c drive that contains the Windows files.

If you don't have the files on your hard drive, you'll need to borrow the CD from somewhere ;)

:damn: Sandra you're quick!!  :aarrgh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 13:47 »
:gotcha: :soz:

Offline Marshall 73

• http://www.unitedonline.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 22:33 »
right, as long as u have your printer driver disk, u don't need the win 98 cd.

arshall Mathers 4 Life
Man Utd 4 Ever
9/11 Never Forgotten

Offline Hitch

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 00:52 »
Gonna be some bashing here both ways but im with mathers on this one.
Never been asked for windows to install drivers if i have driver disc... so long as its up to date drivers anyway.
Of course if the drivers are for 95 then maybe etc etc.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from the website?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 00:56 »

right, as long as u have your printer driver disk, u don't need the win 98 cd.

I have had quite a few different peripherals that ask for the win 98 cd during installing them even when they have the CD that came with the device.
Quite often if you have the win 98 CD hardware will install from windows if its in the driver cab files without the manufacturers CD  :-*

Please try and be more accurate with your advice in future Marshall as some people on this forum know a lot,others very little,with the majority somewhere in between.The less knowledgeable ones will tend to take anything they see on a forum as being correct and end up in greater difficulty than necessary  :(

Offline Marshall 73

• http://www.unitedonline.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 01:07 »
sorry mate, but as i explaind in another thread, i work on alot of forum, and don't have alot of time on this one, so i don't allways read all the post that come beofre my on.

I have re-read this thread, and came to one conclusion:

u need to update your interface database, witch means u need the cd of your OS, witch is Win 98, there is a way to get around it , but it takes an eternity,

ps: u got Win 98 E1 or E2?
arshall Mathers 4 Life
Man Utd 4 Ever
9/11 Never Forgotten

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum