Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Leaving PCs on overnight wastes billions in energy costs, study says  (Read 790 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
well duh!

The computer you're reading this on may not seem like a huge energy waster, but the power consumption adds up when joined by the other PCs worldwide (Stamford, Conn., research firm Gartner estimates there are more than 1 billion). A study released last week puts a finer point on this assertion, reporting that U.S. workers waste $2.8 billion annually in energy costs by failing to shut off their PCs at the end of the work day. What's more, machines left on during off hours may emit up to 20 million tons of carbon dioxide (C02) this year alone, roughly the equivalent impact of four million cars.

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=leaving-pcs-on-overnight-wastes-bil-2009-03-30
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Just how many watts does  a modern computer consume?  I always turn mine off if I'm going out for a few hours and it's always off overnight.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I've never measured, Clive, but my monitor is, iirc, about 200w, and the box has a 900W PSU.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
That's a lot of electricity Rik!  I hadn't realised they were so power hungry!   :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I only have mine on when I'm using it, otherwise it's switched off.  The only time I leave it on overnight, is if I'm downloading something, and even then, it's set to shut down when the download finishes.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
most people would be able to cope with a much lower powered machine - like the eeepc desktops which really can be run off solar panels. its only if you play heavy games, or do lots of intense processing work that you need such monsters. Oh saying that Vista does not help.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
 ;D :-X

I'm saying nothing on Vista...
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum