Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Twilight: New Moon video scam warning  (Read 608 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Twilight: New Moon video scam warning
« on: September 08, 2009, 14:01 »
Surfers have been warned to look out for scams relating to the upcoming Twilight: New Moon movie.

Fans of Twilight have been warned not to fall for an online scam that abuses the series' popularity.

Videos appearing on YouTube under headings such as 'New Moon full movie' contain text encouraging you to go to certain sites to see the forthcoming film New Moon, the second in the Twilight series.

According to security researchers, many variants of the scam attempt to arouse interest in the alleged romance between the two main characters, played by Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

"It's important to note many of these scam vids are relying on the audience desire to see the two leads of the Twilight films bumping uglies," said Christopher Boyd of FaceTime Security.

The scams have links to notorious adware provider Zango, which officially shut down in April this year, though its software lives on.

If you follow the links mentioned, you'll be asked to install Zango software in order to see the movie.

However, you'll never actually get to see New Moon - once you've installed Zango, you'll be directed to a site containing nothing but dead links, said Boyd.

Fellow Twilight star Ashley Greene has also been the bait in online scams before.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Twilight: New Moon video scam warning
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 18:23 »
Twilight is a bit girlie.  I'm surprised it's been targetted; normally these sort of attacks are focused on more macho films which appeal to computer nerds.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:04 »
Hey now, it wasn't that bad :) I gave it a 7/10. I thought it was good enough to watch more than once. That's more than i can say about the majority of movies I've watched.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48 »
Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed the first film.  My hubby didn't, though  ::) - he thought it was girlie and I'm not really in a position to argue with him.

Vampires seem to be very much in vogue, what with Twilight, True Blood and the forthcoming re-make of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:58 »
If it was anything it was tweenie, but then again how many times can they tell the same story.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum