Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: An Idle Thought  (Read 1912 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
An Idle Thought
« on: January 14, 2010, 14:16 »
When I was at school, we were told that things like sound and light travel in waves, a bit like a sine wave.  Yet sound is three dimensional so wouldn't it be more accurate to say it travels in bubbles?  I wonder how whatever the bubble displaces remembers its original form when the bubble has passed.  And I wonder if it's an important consideration when firing a particle gun at parallel slots to establish principles of particle physics.  A bubble only bursts when it comes into contact with an outside body, and where it bursts depends on the position of the outside body, a bit like how particle physics depends on the position of the observer.

I'm delaying washing up after lunch.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: An Idle Thought
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 15:36 »
I don't understand your logic, Gill, as that would imply that once one person had burst the bubble, no-one else would hear the sound, surely? I'm not even sure that sound can be considered three-dimensional. Essentially every track on a 5.1 soundtrack is a one dimensional sound from a specific position. The brain re-assembles the various channels to create the 3D effect, just as the brain interprets the two monocular 'signals' from the eyes to produce three-dimensional vision.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 16:30 »
Done the washing up yet, Gill?  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 16:35 »
If she has, she's using Fairy Liquid. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 16:57 »
Gill, since the term "bubble" is merely analogous to the form you're describing, I would suggest that it's incapable of actually "bursting".

Is it not more likely that Sound has a somewhat more ephemeral effect on the medium carrying it -- not perhaps displacing it, but temporarily acting as a factor upon the medium, until the energy contained in the sound is attenuated to the point of dissipation?

...or something.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 17:49 »
:stars:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 19:46 »
I don't understand your logic, Gill, as that would imply that once one person had burst the bubble, no-one else would hear the sound, surely? I'm not even sure that sound can be considered three-dimensional. Essentially every track on a 5.1 soundtrack is a one dimensional sound from a specific position. The brain re-assembles the various channels to create the 3D effect, just as the brain interprets the two monocular 'signals' from the eyes to produce three-dimensional vision.

Must the bubble burst?  We perceive bubbles as being held together by surface tension.  Would 'bubbles' of energy be dissipated entirely upon contact or would just the energy at the point of contact be subsumed?  After all, when a wave makes contact its form changes around the point of contact and some energy is consumed, distorting the shape of the wave, but the rest of the wave continues.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 00:44 »
Sound is a compression wave that starts at a point of original. Sound waves are longitudinal waves (if you consider the movement of the material you get a sinusoidal amplitude changes), not transverse (well I guess they could be considered to be in solids; the sine wave normally thought of is light, well any electromagnetic radiation) and move via compression and rarefaction of the medium.  I guess the best way to really describe sound leaving a point is a shell. Is a shock wave more than a bubble. I guess you could consider it a bubble around the point of origin.

More about sound on hyperphysics.. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/sprop.html#c1
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:04 »
I think that Gill may be right, I have often seen speach bubbles in cartoons  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:05 »
I think that Gill may be right, I have often seen speach bubbles in cartoons  ;D

:woot:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 03:19 »
Heres the proof of Gills thoughts Sam  :)x

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 04:02 »
Heres the proof of Gills thoughts Sam  :)x