Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet Explorer's dominance slips  (Read 463 times)

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Internet Explorer's dominance slips
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:20 »
Internet Explorer has suffered a significant blow after losing market share to Google Chrome in the browser market.  Usage of Google's Chrome browser has jumped in recent months, eating into Microsoft's dominance of the web browser market.

Statistics from NetApplications showed that Internet Explorer's worldwide market share slipped to under 60 per cent in April.

However, this still puts it well ahead of Firefox's 24.6 per cent share of the market, with the relatively new Chrome now accounting for 6.7 per cent.

In March, IE took a 60.65 per cent share, Firefox 24.5 per cent and Chrome 6.1 per cent. This time last year IE had 67.7 per cent, Firefox 23.8 per cent and Chrome just 1.8 per cent, behind Apple's Safari (3.5 per cent) and Opera (two per cent).

"Google Chrome's growth is showing some of the consistency we saw in Firefox until Chrome's arrival," said Vince Vizzaccaro of NetApplications.

Vizzaccaro said that a recent high-profile advertising campaign by Google could be behind the surge in Chrome usage.

"As far as the reasons for the growth, I don't know if people are using Chrome because of a noticeable difference in technology from IE, Firefox or Safari. But, I do notice that Google has been advertising Chrome heavily for the last few months online, on TV, and in print," Vizzacaro said.

"I'm intrigued to see if Chrome can start grabbing share from Firefox or make a dent on Mac OS, and what that will drive as far as responses in technology and advertising from the other major browser providers," he continued.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Internet Explorer's dominance slips
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:23 »
It will be interesting to see if more people move from IE to other browsers or whether those that have already cast off the shackles of Microsoft merely move between alternatives.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum