Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Menagerie of Celestial Objects in New Image of the Large Magellanic Cloud  (Read 921 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Astronomers often turn their telescopes to the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC), one of the closest galaxies to our own Milky Way, in their quest to understand the Universe. In this spectacular new image from the Wide Field Imager (WFI) at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile, a celestial menagerie of different objects and phenomena in part of the LMC is on display, ranging from vast globular clusters to the remains left by brilliant supernovae explosions. This fascinating observation provides data for a wide variety of research projects unravelling the life and death of stars and the evolution of galaxies.

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/06/01/menagerie-of-celestial-objects-in-new-image-of-the-large-magellanic-cloud/

-- a really stunning image of the large magellanic cloud here.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I have never been far enough south to see the Magellanic Clouds.   :(

Offline sam

• Administrator
same here. need to fix that.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Me too!   ;D  What's particularly interesting about the photo is that it's a very small patch of sky which is normally seen as just a nebulous cloud similar to the Orion nebula.  The telescope has resolved the nebula into individual stars and giant clusters of stars and brought out some of the finest detail I've ever seen.  8-)

Offline sam

• Administrator
that's what you get with a 2.2m telescope!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
It looks like my new kitchen worktop :) .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum