Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: No POST on power up  (Read 1268 times)

Offline shellyj66

• New Registration
No POST on power up
« on: July 05, 2003, 10:02 »
My computer seems to have died in some way. On power on fan starts, lights come on, there are no beeps and no POST. System stays on for between 5 and 20 seconds and then powers off. I have checked all cards and cables are seated correctly, vacuumed accumulated dust out of case and retried start with same result. I am unsure if this is a motherboard, or CPU issue or could it be battery. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I dont have extra components on hand so I cant try replacing things without purchasing them first. Not a great option for a process of elimination.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:No POST on power up
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 10:25 »
Hi Shellyj66, and

Is your CPU fan working?  I was wondering is it had failed, and your CPU was overheating and cutting out.  Not sure if this would make the PC power off, but it might be a place to start until one of our techies comes along.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 10:36 »
Hi shellyj66 :welcome:

Having no POST beeps points to a problem with the motherboard or the CPU. As Simon said, check the CPU fan is spinning as it may well have failed causing the CPU to overheat.

One other thing you may want to try is to remove all expansion cards from the system (except the graphics card if you have one), remove the memory sticks from the board and then boot the PC.

If the motherboard/cpu is OK (and the speaker is plugged in) you should then get the POST beeps.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 10:43 »
Found this, which may be of some help:

# No Post and fan doesn't come on when the computer is switched on:   First check to see if the CPU fan comes on, if it does you probably just have a bad power supply fan, unfortunately you can't replace it you'll just have to exchange the one you have for one that works.  Next make sure that the power cord is plugged into the back of the unit and into the wall.  Then ensure that the power switch is connected to the case and power supply and seems to be functioning correctly.  If none of these suggestions work then you probably have a bad power supply.  If this is the case DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR IT.  There are definitely no user serviceable parts in the power supply.  You will just have to return the power supply and/or case for one that is functioning properly.

# No Post and no sound from the speaker (condition beeps) but power comes on:   There are a couple of possible causes for this.  First look to see if the CPU fan comes on, if it does it probably means that the power supply is good and it is a construction or component problem.  Next make sure that all of your power connections are correct and data cables are connected properly.  If you're sure that they are then you need to make sure that your RAM and CPU are seated correctly.  If they are you could possibly be looking at a faulty part (motherboard, RAM, or in rare instances CPU).  The first way to test this is to disconnect all of the external components except the motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card, and power connections.  That means disconnect any additional cards you may have installed, and any data cables from drives to the motherboard.  Then try switching the machine on again and see if it POSTs, if it does you either have a bad secondary component or had one of the components installed improperly.  If it doesn't remove the video card and try again, but this time you'll have to listen for the condition beeps from the internal speaker (just check your manual for the beep codes).  If you still have no response and you have access to another computer try the components in that system if they work you know its either a bad motherboard or improper installation.  If you can't do this you'll just have to assume one of the key components (RAM, CPU, or motherboard) is bad and exchange them for good ones.

http://hansworse.freeyellow.com/trouble.html
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 12:55 »
If its powering up and then shutting down after a few seconds then its unlikely to be the power supply.
Unfortunately it sounds like the CPU has overheated and it may be set to shut down in the BIOS if a specific temperature has been exceded.
Which motherboard and CPU have you got installed?
It may be possible to buy a slower/cheaper CPU that will fit the board to try it out rather than the same or faster than the current one to minimise your outlay,possibly even a secondhand one from a small computer place if they have upgraded someones PC  :-*

Offline shellyj66

• New Registration
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 05:06 »
Ok, thankyou for all the replies. I have tried some of the things suggested with these results. First I replaced battery on motherboard. I disconnected all drives and restarted. No POST. I removed RAM and restarted. No POST. Replaced tested RAM stick and restarted. No POST. Power supply fan runs on start as does CPU fan. It just wont even get to POST. Prior to this problem I had not installed any new hardware or software. I just had tried to power up with no luck. Next option to try is replacing CPU. I guess if that does not work it looks like the motherboard is shot. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Thanks again
Michelle

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 08:15 »
Sorry to hear that Shelly.  :(  Hopefully one of our experts will come up with a brainwave for you today.

:)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 13:40 »
Michelle can you tell us which motherboard and CPU you are using,just in case its occurred before with that set up.
How long had your PC been running ok before this happened and how old is it ?
Does anything show on the monitor at all before it shuts down,ie does it start to show the memory check and the BIOS version numbers ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum