Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet sharing over a Ethernet LAN  (Read 1933 times)

Offline perl

• New Registration
Internet sharing over a Ethernet LAN
« on: July 19, 2003, 18:14 »
Is it possible to choose from a number of open connections to the internet over a LAN ethernet?

My situation is that I have a number of computers on a ethernet LAN.  One of the computers has been configured to act as an internet sharing server so that when it connects to the internet, any other computer on the LAN that is on can then access the connection.  

What I was wondering is it possible to set up the other computers on the LAN in a similar way so that say if one of the others ones is already connected to the internet then other computers which are not connected to thhe internet can then use this open connection.

All of the computers have modems and access to a phone line connection.

Are there any solutions for this problem that can be implimented.  Also all of the PCs are running Win 98 SE.  Dont hesitate to ask any questions if something is not fully explained here!

Adept

Re:Internet sharing over a Ethernet LAN
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 18:57 »
Hi Perl :welcome:

Hmmm... Ok let me get this right. You want to make any one of your PCs be an Internet Sharing server and the others PCs connect to the first one that has an open connection?

The way Internet Connection Sharing works in Windows is that the server has a fixed IP address which the other PCs on the network use as a Gateway to the Internet.

I don't know of any way to get around this, because the address of the server has to be fixed :)

Can I ask why you would want to do this anyway?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 19:13 »
Have you got multiple phone lines Perl ?
If so then why not connect direct for each of the PCs that have modems ?
If you only have the one line cant you use a router connected to your existing LAN or another hub ?

Sorry if I misunderstood your question and am on the wrong track(again)  :-*

Offline perl

• New Registration
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 20:01 »
Adept - what you said is pretty much what I am after!

I have two phone lines which i connect to using a 56kbpps Modem.  The problem is one of the modems is used an answer phone and fax machine at certain times of the day so I'd like to be able to swap from open connections.

Sorry for sounding stupid here but seen as though I am using a dial up connection (my ip will therefore be dynamic) then surely my currently set up internet sharing server will not have a fixed IP for which to use as a Gateway!

Does this explain the reasons for wanting to do this clearly?  Mostly it is due to the fact that I dont want to have to keep swaping phone cables around too and certain computers run faster than others (mostly it is due to preferance and convinience really)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 20:08 »
I think that the easiest and best solution Perl ,would be to leave one line as your fax/answering machine and get a router/hub attached to the other line that way any pc can have have internet access independantly of any other computer or simultaneously.
Unfortunately with only a 56K line you would lose speed when you had multiple PCs using the internet simultaneously  :-*

Adept

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 20:21 »

Sorry for sounding stupid here but seen as though I am using a dial up connection (my ip will therefore be dynamic) then surely my currently set up internet sharing server will not have a fixed IP for which to use as a Gateway!

Perl, the fixed IP address I mean is the internal one on your network, not your ISP-assigned IP address.

Does this explain the reasons for wanting to do this clearly?  Mostly it is due to the fact that I dont want to have to keep swaping phone cables around too and certain computers run faster than others (mostly it is due to preferance and convinience really)

Is there no way you can decide that one PC is your Internet server and the other the fax server? Or are faxes received on both PCs?

I know what you want to do, but I don't think there is any way of doing it.

Lobo will probably be along later. If anyone will know if it is possible to do, he will ;)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 21:23 »
@perl
Set up two LANs with an internet connection on each LAN on two hubs with a crossover patch between the hubs then you can access the internet via either LAN

Brian ;D

url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 21:37 »
Dont you just hate these know alls Adept  ;D ;D ;D

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 21:48 »
:blonde:
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum