Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Gphx card error  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Gphx card error
« on: August 31, 2003, 18:44 »
GeForce 4 MX440 8x 128Mb DDR VGA+DVI + TV Out[/u]

This is on the build I recently did for a mate.  He tried to play a DVD last night, and received the following error message:

The TV out port of your TV display card is not working properly. This copy protected disc cannot be played when the TV out port is being utilised.

He was not using the TV Out port, as he was playing the DVD on his PC.  I had a look round on Google, and found somewhere that advised to update display drivers, which he did.  The error message has gone, but now he has no sound when playing a DVD with Power DVD software, but it seems to work OK with Windows Media Player (I didn't even know WMP played DVDs!)

Just as a talking point really, as the problem seems to have (sort of) been solved, has anyone  any ideas about this error message, and why there is now no sound with Power DVD?  Also, if WMP can play DVDs, how does it cope with different regions?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

Re:Gphx card error
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 18:55 »

Also, if WMP can play DVDs, how does it cope with different regions?

Well I know the answer to this bit ::)

When you set your region in the Regional and Language options section of control panel, Windows assumes which DVD region you wish to set. Everything you ever wanted to know can be found here.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 19:03 »
OK, I think I understood that.   :-\  What you ideally want is to set it to Region 0, then it should play most DVDs, although I can't understand anyone wanting to play a DVD on a PC, when they have a 'proper' DVD player in the lounge!   ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 19:16 »
The message comes because of the Macrovision copy protection - if the graphics card cannot implement the macrovision then it's not supposed to allow playback of copy protected DVDs.

Media player will play DVDs when you have installed some commercial DVD playback software as it then has the necessary MPEG2 codec installed.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 19:44 »
Try a different player to play the DVDs with, I use BSplayer from here http://www.bsplay.com/works for me

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 20:04 »
Thanks Brian!   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum