Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New Project II: The Sequal  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:New Project II: The Sequal
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2003, 08:52 »
You can just use a 98 system floppy to boot and then do the install off the CD if "boot from CD" is not supported in the bios e.g. the AMD K62-450 system I put it on.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 09:01 »
Thanks for those guys, I'll let you know how I get on.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 00:06 »

Thanks for those guys, I'll let you know how I get on.   :)

WELL ? were's the update then ::)

jeez you know I said "upgrades never again" well a mate of mine [from up the Lakes] brought his IPatriot with its 32MB Memory [- 4MB for the onboard graphics] and 3GB HDD, and 200Mhz CPU for a bit of a "tart up"

See he has this new Digital Camera, very nice, and not a cheapie. It had 40 piccies of his first grandchild on it. But when he tried to load his camera software onto his PC, it just laughed at him.

So I said, New PC mate or I have a stick of 64 MB memory, and a 8GB HDD I can pop in as well if you going to be storing loads of piccies, Being a true Yorkshire man, he sez he'll have the free Sunday dinner and the titivation please.

What a bag of sh*te the IPatriot turned out to be, only one HDD bay , and hence only one IDE cable. So I had to get the drill out and I popped the extra HDD in to the spare CD-Rom bay. I mean it ain't as if he is going to shell out on a CD-RW/DVD combo now is it    ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 07:03 »
Well as soon as this thread is finished I'm going to pick the bones out of it and the 1st thread and build myself a new puter out of all the good points  ;D.. hope it will be built before xmas  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 07:55 »
Well, I did try fiddling with the refresh rate, but it didn't seem to make any difference, however, the monitor I am using now, isn't the monitor that will be used for the machine when it goes to it's new home, so I won't really be able to assess things until then.
(Dack) ...also check the windows settings to ensure they don't have the high contrast option set on.

Couldn't actually find that, but probably me being thick!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 08:39 »
I used the wrong phrase :) - what I meant to say was about the 'clear type' option. (right click on screen, properties, appearance, text, clear text in the drop down). It adds an anti alias to text which can make it blurry for somepeople.

You may want to try out:
http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm to make sure the monitor is all OK too.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 08:51 »
Well Hooky,

You know me and Simon will be here to guide you, but I still reckon you'll still be successful mate,so go for it. As you can see from Simons ?last? diagnostics comment, he is coming on leaps and bounds.

;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 09:55 »
Yes, obviously "Chuckle Bros. inc." will help you all we can, Hook.  Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy!   ;D ;D

Dack, thanks for that.  I love those 'test' things!  I'll have lots of fun with those later.   :D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 10:14 »
Hehehe i love these threads... ;D

Keep up the good work guys.... ;)

Adept

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 13:08 »
Simon, is the monitor fuzzy on the BIOS screen and the Windows boot-up stuff as well?

If it is always fuzzy and it works OK on another PC, you may have a problem with the graphics card.

Have you tried a lower resolution desktop?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2003, 14:48 »
It's fine with my own machine.  It's only when I put the new machine on my monitor.  I haven't noticed it on the BIOS screens - it just seems to be web pages, particularly Pals, with the red text on the blue background.   ???

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2003, 17:51 »
That will be the windows setting then - you can probably change the colour balances from display->setting->advanced etc. Just knock the red down a bit and see how it looks then. The Bios screen would be before the windows driver has got it's grubby little mits on the display :)

(Can't give the exact sequence to activate it as I'm currently typing this on a machine running NT and it doesn't allow me to play with such settings )

Now time to go home from work :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2003, 18:04 »
Well, now I have an idea what to do, it would probably be better to make any necessary adjustments on the monitor the new machine will be using, when I take it to it's new home next week.

Bloody funny you know, I almost don't want it to go!  It's like giving it up for adoption!   ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum