Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: heeelp!!!!!! i got hardware problems  (Read 926 times)

Offline FREEZY

heeelp!!!!!! i got hardware problems
« on: November 01, 2003, 15:59 »
i was using my pc then all hell broke loose first my monitor went off.then when i tried powering off the pc it refused so i had to disconnect it from the mains.from there its completely refused to start.as in the monitor doesn't come on n there is no POST confirmation.pliiiiz help!!! :'(

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:heeelp!!!!!! i got hardware problems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 16:17 »
Hiya FREEZY,

Welcome to PC-Pals!  Can I assume you're using another machine to surf with, then?  Could you also tell us whether your monitor is powered from the back of your PC, please?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 00:18 »
Do any lights come on at all ?
I am wondering if, when you reconnected it, a surge may have blown the fuse especially if its set up like Rodders asked if its a feed through to the monitor from the back of the PC  ???

Offline FREEZY

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 14:57 »
sorry for taking so long to reply.my monitor is powered from a UPS.

Offline FREEZY

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 15:01 »
to answer Sandra,when i power on the PC the LEDS for the PC light and also the light for the monitor is also on but it stays in a flashing state.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 16:08 »
Cant think why it did the initial not powering off but its not getting a signal to the monitor now so it looks like a memory or graphics card problem possibly, can you try substituting anything from another pc by any chance  ???

Offline FREEZY

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 13:26 »
got some good news  ;D and some bad news :'(
the good news is that i took your advice Sandra and took my Graphics Card,my memory and my processor and went to my pal whose PC is almost identical to mine.Guess what i got the problem.now thats the bad news IT WAS MY PROCESSOR!!! :'( After switching his with mine,his PC acted exactly like mine and we noticed the processor was really heating up fast despite the fan and the heat sink.by the way my processor is a PIII 733Mhz.Do you think i should just get anotha comp altogether or i just replace the processor??!!(By the way THANX 4 all the help)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 13:51 »
As long as the memory and the grahics card worked ok on your pals PC with his CPU then you should only need a new CPU for yours, that would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole PC.
You may even be able to get a faster CPU than your present one for not too much money.
I havent checked sub 2ghz CPU prices lately but they should be reasonably cheap for the max that your mobo will probably take  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum