Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mains Powered Scanner?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Mains Powered Scanner?
« on: November 24, 2003, 18:29 »
I've been asked to find a cheap(ish) scanner for a friend's Mum.  This will be a Christmas present, and the maximum spend is around £50.  All the ones I have seen so far are USB powered.  The PC for which the scanner is intended only has a 200W PSU.  It's quite an old, low spec machine.  Would a 200W PSU have enough guts to power a USB Scanner?  I was looking at this Canon, from Ebuyer.  If this is a non-runner, due to the small PSU, can anyone recommend a mains powered scanner for a similar price?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Mains Powered Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 18:51 »
Simon, I run a Scanjet 3400c with a mains power and USB connection.
Its under £50 squid  ;D

Edit  ::)..HP by the way

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 18:56 »
I would be tempted to run it from a mains powered usb hub Simon, if you cant find a mains powered scanner.
I have an agfa snapcan touch that is mains powered and a friend got a later model but still mains powered a couple of months back, so there must still be some around  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 23:42 »
Thanks San.  I think I may have found one following a hint from Hookstar.  This one seems to be mains powered, and is roughly the same price as the Canon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum