Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: computer freezes when playing games  (Read 753 times)

Offline supadupa

computer freezes when playing games
« on: November 24, 2003, 14:53 »
I have AMD xp 1700 with 780mb ram and geforce 4 ti4200 with onboard soundcard and windows XP. This happens with almost evry game i play when in game computer freezes, monitor goes black for few moments there is some sound from game than it goes quiet and i can't return to windows only thing i can do is to turn off computer. Always it is a matter of time before this happens i rearly normaly quit game because of this. This was happening even before i changed my graphic card. Can anyone help please?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:computer freezes when playing games
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 17:23 »
How's your CPU cooling?  Do you have a decent heat sink and fan?  I was just wondering, in my infinate ignorance, if your AMD 1700 XP is finding it a bit tough going these days, and maybe getting overwarm, and cutting out?

You may be advised to wait for further advice from one of our proper techies, as I have been known to take wild stabs in the dark!    ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline supadupa

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 23:00 »

How's your CPU cooling?  Do you have a decent heat sink and fan?  I was just wondering, in my infinate ignorance, if your AMD 1700 XP is finding it a bit tough going these days, and maybe getting overwarm, and cutting out?

You may be advised to wait for further advice from one of our proper techies, as I have been known to take wild stabs in the dark!    ;)

Thanks for replaying that could be answer cpu works at 60 C or more i think i should do something about that. Another question what are normal temperature for my CPU

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 23:20 »
60 is certainly on the high side.  It should run much lower than that.  I understand that this is a common problem with that particular chip.  I believe it can be cured by updating the BIOS.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 23:44 »
I wouldnt have thought that 60 was excessively high for an AMD, and you cant cure it with updating the bios as far as I know Clive, only by fitting a bigger heat sink, fan or extra case fans etc.
There is a setting in the bios to shut the pc down at specified temperatures and it may be set at 55, I think I have mine at 75 but I havent looked for a long time  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum