Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: System Startup  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Serge

System Startup
« on: December 08, 2003, 17:46 »
Hello folks.  I just recently joined this group, and I have a question for the specialits in this group.   ;)  I have this strange behaviour that started a few days ago.  I turn on the power supply and press the start button, the fans starts, the power LED and disk activity LED light up but nothing else happens. No beep, no screen activity, nothing.  I have to do this anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes before the system finally come alive. Most of the time, it comes up in the BIOS settup screen, complaining that the CPU speed was wrong during the last startup.  Thinking I had the correct solution, I got a new power supply, dual cooling fans, of a much better quality (400W) that the original one.  It made no difference.  Yesterday, it took me an hour before the system finally decided to come up. I also updated the BIOS to the latest revision.  Any ideas??  Anyone??

Motherboard: Asus A7V, 133 FSB
CPU: AMD 950Mhz

No changes were made in the last few months. One day it was fine the next day it started to act up.  Thanks for your time and advise.

Serge

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:System Startup
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 17:50 »
Hi Serge, and  

As you said this is one for the experts, so hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 17:58 »
Hi Serge and welcome aboard  :)
Does your ASUS board use via chipsets ?
May be worth trying the latest 4 in 1 drivers for it if it does have :

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Other things to try are the CMOS battery or possibly a RAM problem, the first is easy and cheap to try, unfortunately unless you can borrow some RAM from a friends PC then thats not so easy  :)

Adept

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 19:39 »
Sandra, I don't think changing Windows drivers will correct a boot-up problem. The issue is probably at a lower level than that. The CMOS battery may be what's wrong though.

Should changing the CMOS cell not work, remove all the PCI cards and memory sticks from the motherboard, clean their contacts with a plastic eraser and replce them. Whilst the cards are out of their sockets, carefully vacuum the PCI slots in case they are dusty.

Oh and, Hi Serge :welcome:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 20:15 »
Definitely sounds like a cmos battery issue. Usual CR2032 battery replacement should be first port of call.

If the battery is not suppliying enough current it will have the same effect as setting the jumper to "reset cmos" and you will get all sorts of boot up problems.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 22:09 »

Hello folks.  I just recently joined this group, and I have a question for the specialits in this group.   ;)  I have this strange behaviour that started a few days ago.  

Serge

Well you should settle in nicely here Serge ;D  
 :waving:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Serge

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 11:09 »
Hello everyone and thanks for your warm welcome and suggestions.  :)
I have to add that, a few weeks ago, I also did replace the battery on the motherboard.  I guess my nest step is to update the VIA firmware update; remove all component to clean up all connections and remove the dust ;-)  The final step I guess will be to replace the motherboard and CPU if I cannot resolve this issue. :-)
Thanks again everyone for your time and ideas!  Keep the ideas coming if you have some more.  ;-) I will post an update when I resolve this problem.  Have a nice day all!
Serge

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 11:26 »
Hi Serge and a belated  :welcome: hope you manage to sort your PC problems with the help of the wonderful "Techies" on this forum  ;)  

Join in the fun whilst your here  ;D

Offline Serge

Re:System Startup - Resolved... I hope. 8-)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 22:26 »
Hello again folks.  A short note to say that the problem was resolved by replacing the CPU.  I first removed and cleaned everything inside the box. I mamanged to find a pre-owned CPU for a reasonable price. No new CPU were available as this notherboard is "old", purchased it in 2000.  Go figure!  :)  I "lost" 100 Mhz in the process but that is fine.  Reliable 850 Mhz is better than occasional 950 Mhz. :)
Thank you all for your time and suggestions.
Have a nice day all!

Serge
 8)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 00:41 »
Pleased to hear that you sorted it and at not too much expense, thanks for letting us know the outcome  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum